How to divide a fish and chip order...

• 10 Replies

Growster...

How to divide a fish and chip order...
« on: October 19, 2017, 18:05 »
Mrs Growster and I are having lunch out on Saturday, to celebrate forty-five years of wedded bliss!

Now, a few tinctures is always on the cards, but as we have a dearth of chippies here, (the local one is dire, and unwelcome), we have decided, after much deliberation, to ask the pub/restaurant for just one 'mains' divided between the two of us, because it is so daunting to look down at a plate which you know you'll never finish...

As mentioned elswhere, Mrs Growster eats like a bird, and I try and keep to the average, but it's such a waste when the plates are cleared away with so much left behind!

So what's the form for asking the waitress  (chum) for half a lunch each?

Surely some of us have been there before?

madcat

Re: How to divide a fish and chip order...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 18:21 »
As you are both of some seniority, does the pub do seniors meals or pensioners specials?  They are often more suited to smaller appetites... and appropriately priced. 

Otherwise it is order one and ask for an extra plate I suppose....
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 21:02 »
congrats 45 years is amazing.
hope me and him get there one day!!

just order 1 meal and ask for an extra plate.
divide to suit yourselves.
remember they should be keeping the  customer happy

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05 »
If you can order something for the other person, even just a side or a starter to be served as a main, it would go down better.  You could ask for it to be served on a large plate as you want to share.

Yes they do have to keep the customer happy, but asking for 1 meal when there are 2 of you sitting there does feel a bit cheeky, so I know why you are hesitant Mr G.

I've done the same when taking my nephew out years ago.  Now he would happily wolf his own meal and finish anything left on any other plates, but he was a fussy eater as a child.  It was easier to buy him a side of fries or whatever, then see if he would have more put on his plate.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 14:24 »
Why not ask for two child-sized portions or just tell the waitress your problem - I'm sure she will be happy to oblige especially if you give her your best smile!  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 17:51 »
Absolutely fabulous lunch!

I'd had a chat with one of the managers the day before, and explained the situation, and she just loved saying that all we had to do was 'I'm sure we'll do what's the best'!

http://www.thequeensinnhawkhurst.co.uk/home/

And it was ever thus too!

Asked for one between two of us - absolutely no problem at all! (She was expecting us and said you may not have room on the table for two more plates, so I'll bring just one)! We also saw two good old chums so the banter was around all the time too!

Great beer and wine, big tip for the lady who organised everything and to cap it all, a large plate arrived with two gorgeous brownies, some strawbs and 'Happy 45th Anniversary' picked out in chocolate! Compliments of the Chef!

If anyone is within a hundred miles of this great place, it's worth just calling by...

Fabulous day out!

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 18:00 »
Happy Anniversary, 45. Years is a lovely achievement. Pleased your meal worked out well, place looks lovely bit far for me though lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DanielCoffey

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 12:09 »
45 is awesome - well done!

As a relative whipper-snapper, I am twenty behind you... our 25th is coming up shortly.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 13:57 »
So pleased it all went well for you, and how thoughtful to give you a cake too! As for us, it's our 11th anniversary next year so we're way behind you.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 18:06 »
Lots of thanks all!

We reckon that being as simple-living as we are these days, the day out was one of the best Wannivs we'd ever had!

It just takes a few kind notes from others to make a day special, and so it was!

Daniel/Goosey, eleven or twentyfive - it doesn't really matter if you get yer fish 'n chips the way you want 'em! Snows, it takes a couple of hours from Burbage!

;0)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 18:42 »
So pleased it all went well for you, and how thoughtful to give you a cake too! As for us, it's our 11th anniversary next year so we're way behind you.

You do surprise me I thought you’d have been there with Mr G 😊. As for us it will be 32 years next month, Mr S says if he’d murdered me 15 years or so ago he’d be out by now 😂

xx
First order of seeds from Seekay

Started by chillimummy on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 17:25
by Mr Dog
xx
how are you getting on with your next years seed order

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 23, 2023, 13:05
by coldandwindy
xx
Re: Cancelled Trashco order

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2024, 18:13
by Yorkie
xx
Why have the latest posts by date not been in order?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 16:55
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 37 queries.