Green Shield stamps...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Green Shield stamps...
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:34 »
Mrs Growster is making a cheese souffle today, and I've just remembered that the mixer she is using was from the Hastings Green Shield stamp shop, near Woolworths in Wellington Square...

It's a 'Kenwood Mini', and we 'bought' it around 1973...

Any more GSS treasures from chums here?

Goosegirl

Re: Green Shield stamps...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 14:46 »
Just memories of going into the Co-op with my little crumpled book of "lick-ems and stick-ems" and the feel of the coins that fell into my up-turned palm.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 17:57 »
I loved Green Shield Stamps!  It was so exciting to drive to the GSS shop and redeem them.

I particularly remember a chicken roasting tin, with lid, in blue enamel.  Used it for years!

But the stamps tasted YUUUUUKKKKKK !!!!!!

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 19:01 »
in 1973 we bought a dining table and chairs, sideboard and coffee table and got green shield stamps with it all. They came as single stamps all needing to be stuck in, came to around 20 books so we got if I remember correctly a bathroom heater, a bathroom cabinet, a mirror and with the last few a set of mugs.
We thought we had got real treasure as we carried them home on the bus in Sheffield.
Most were left fitted in the house when we sold it but the mugs were used every day for many years and the last one was used to wash paint brushes long after its handle dropped off. Our kids are astounded when we mention such things.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 19:47 »
In the factory I managed in the 1970s, as well as the usual production output cash bonus, we hit on the idea of rewarding the two top performing flow-lines each week with sheets of the stamps as an additional bonus. Worked a treat.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 07:55 »
Great memories, Folks!

The mugs had a tree, a town picture and something else, and I think we've still got one somewhere...

The roasting tin was a luxury we didn't 'buy' Aunty, but my mum's was identical, and she used it forever!

As for sticking the damn things in, we eventually resorted to a damp sponge, as yes, they tasted horrible!

(Just for the record, a good chum's mum was a close relative of  Richard Tompkins, who started it all. When my pal got married, Richard leant his own car for the honeymoon send-off. The number plate was 'OO7'!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:25 »
We loved GSS in our house. Not very well off financially, it was Mum's chance to obtain things we could not have usually afforded, including, yes... a chicken roasting tin with a blue lid!!!!! It was still in good order after her passing and it went to a charity shop, where it was snapped up pretty quickly. We also had a shiny kettle (not one with a whistle) to use on the stove top too, to replace the old and battered camping kettle that sat on the stove. Still around now with my brother

Talk about made to last
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21 »
I remember my sister and I having to lick and stick the stamps into the book.  The taste was awful, and we shared the big (one per page) stamps between us.  My payment of choice was a farmyard set of little plastic animals.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 13:04 »
There were pink stamps too (a scheme run by US company Sperry and Hutchinson - in the US their stamps had always been green too but the British Green Shield company beat them to it in the UK so they had to use a different colour.)

I can confirm that the pink ones tasted just as nasty as the green ones - stamp-licking sessions were always postponed for as long as possible, by which time many of the stamps had seen better days and were probably not entirely hygienic! :ohmy: Good excuse to go down the pub for a few pints though.  ;)

After the trading stamp era was over Green Shield became Argos (little known fact, especially by me!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arh

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 16:27 »
I and my brother used to drive for Green Shield out of the Daventry depot.

xx
Green Shield Stamps...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

16 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 11:51
by rowlandwells
clip
Green Fingers?

Started by Pescador on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post October 15, 2018, 09:32
by Pescador

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 36 queries.