Looking after your joints in winter,what do you do

• 17 Replies

LILLILEAF

Looking after your joints in winter,what do you do
« on: September 03, 2017, 09:04 »
The warmer days are getter shorter as is the light,is it a good time to start extra care for those joints,so they are in tip top condition for next spring when we are all chomping at the bit to get started for the new season,what do you do?.Lillileaf

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Looking after your joints in winter,what do you do
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 09:29 »
Keep the shoulder joints mobile with gentle movement, back supple with gentle exercises.
I do this every time I am waiting for something to come out of the microwave.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:56 »
Nothing different to the rest of the year really. Regular physical work at the plot, all the usual housework, yoga, good food and staying warm.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

al78

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 20:39 »
I don't do anything special over the drab months (but I am relatively young, so don't feel the need too). Regular exercise from autumn and winter gardening jobs such as occasional digging and digging and transporting manure, cycling to work. A deep tissue massage once a month to tackle aches and pains caused by tight and knotted muscles.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 05:53 »
I am no spring chicken any more :(,so i have to look after the old joints,also i am waiting for my hip revision,it was done 6yrs ago and nothing but trouble,then i found out 18 months ago,it has not been but in straight :mad:.
And that 18 months ago was the last time i heard any thing from the hospital :mad:,i have been using a stick to help me get around.
As long as i have some thing to hold on to i still do all the garden weeding planting cutting the grass,i take so many painkillers i rattle :lol:,and i still do a full time job.
Sorry for the rant i hate mondays :lol:.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 09:58 »
Pace yourself... Thats how i cope with aging joints. I play bowls indoors in the winter so that helps with my back. Also, keep it warm.
I do No-Dig gardening but can always find lots of little outside jobs for the better days of winter.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 10:13 »
I avoid any heavy work outside when it is really cold, or sodden, it seems to do more harm than good, so try to get the plot sorted before the worst weather arrives. If it doesn't get done in time, then it has to wait til spring, I certainly don't worry about it!
I tend to swap to inside work, any decorating or DIY jobs get done in the winter while the weather forces me to stay inside. This winter the plan is to redecorate my bedroom - 'tis time for a change  :D

I do back and hip stretching exercises every morning to stop them seizing up and get out for a walk as often as weather allows. Aside from that keeping them comfortably warm seems to be the main thing for my joints, which means I sometimes wear those knee bandage things to stop the cold getting in.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 14:55 »
I try to maintain my 10,000 steps a day whatever the weather; other than in winter it's usually accompanied by weeding/digging or some other outdoor activity. In really bad weather it includes frequent 10 minute sessions on my powered treadmill. Touch wood, as long as I've had this fetish, sorry routine, I stay reasonably free from the usual aches and pains

Aled

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 11:45 »
Glucosamine Joint Complex gel, is a herbal remedy for painful joints don't ask my how or why but it gives my knee joints instant relief. It was suggested to me by a young doctor, who said it works well for some people and not at all for others. I'm doing a novice triathlon on October the 1st, so I've been training hard, and this gel has helped big time.
Cheers
Aled

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 23:40 »
Keep active is what my physio suggested to me now I am of that age (his words not mine) I play walking footy as well as coach goal keepers and coach a girls footy team. On top of this I also cycle a lot. When I was told I had arthritus in my ankle a foody expert at Arthritus UK gave me a list of foods which could help, the one I found the best was pineapple juice so everyday I drink a glass.
One other thing I now do pretty much every night which I reckon helps a lot.... half hour or so in the hot tub :-)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

LILLILEAF

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:10 »
The pineapple juice i can do,but the hot tub i cannot as we don't have a bath :lol:,just a shower,i will have a look at arthritis uk site thanks for the tips,soon as i have had my hip redone 1 year :wub:,i will be on my bike a lot.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 07:43 »
Not just for winter but all year round I have a tablespoon of ground turmeric mixed into yogurt with a grind of black pepper. Wasn't sure if it was still effective so last January I stopped taking it for a month, when I started again the next morning my hands felt so much better.

cardoon queen

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 23:04 »
I've had lots of joint problems since I was 12 and now arthritis is affecting shoulders, fingers, hips - the other one that hasn't been replaced!!!! Swimming, yoga and recently really helping the finger pain a few drinks....
every day glass of hot water with a dessertspoonful of cider vinegar and tsp of honey - very inflammatory.  3 tsp of molasses a day - great in porridge and other things as a natural sweetener and then 3 times a week an epsom salts hot as you can bath then sweating in bed a bit and shower the next morning to wash off the toxins that have come out of your skin.  amazing the difference it's made to my hands and my shoulder joints that were getting a bit sore.
works for me - they're all anti inflammatory.
if in doubt, let it grow ...

Aled

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 09:54 »
Glucosamine Joint Complex gel, is a herbal remedy for painful joints don't ask my how or why but it gives my knee joints instant relief. It was suggested to me by a young doctor, who said it works well for some people and not at all for others. I'm doing a novice triathlon on October the 1st, so I've been training hard, and this gel has helped big time.
Cheers
Aled

Well I finished my triathlon on Sunday, and I really believe that the Glucosamine cream has helped. I also like some of the other suggestions on here. May well give em a go.
Cheers
Aled

al78

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30 »
I've recently found out the sharp pain in my big toe joints is likely an onset of arthritis. I'm only 39 as well  :ohmy:.\

xx
Hi de Hi in Winter...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post November 21, 2017, 10:31
by compostqueen
xx
winter brassicas

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post December 13, 2019, 09:18
by rowlandwells
xx
winter break

3 Replies
Last post November 30, 2021, 07:50
by AndyRVTR
xx
the winter blues

3 Replies
Last post January 06, 2020, 13:34
by WeavingGryphon

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 40 queries.