"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #585 on: June 05, 2022, 16:32 »
Last baby fawn update.

We read that after a week or two, Mother deer will move the fawn to a different bedding-down area. So, night before last, we left the garden gate open.  Happy day, the mother apparently took the opportunity to move her baby.  It was fun having our "guest" for a week though!
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #586 on: June 09, 2022, 11:39 »
Last baby fawn update.

We read that after a week or two, Mother deer will move the fawn to a different bedding-down area. So, night before last, we left the garden gate open.  Happy day, the mother apparently took the opportunity to move her baby.  It was fun having our "guest" for a week though!

Well, apparently I was wrong!  Fawn is back in our back yard again, so he must have been hiding and staying quiet. He's quite loud when he wants to call mom, sort of a short goat-like call (mah!)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #587 on: June 26, 2022, 12:15 »
Half asleep on a tomato leaf...
Someone toad him to wait there.
20220626_070947.jpg
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 12:18 by Subversive_plot »

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #588 on: July 08, 2022, 15:45 »
No picture unfortunately, but on this morning's dog walk, we saw an armadillo in a neighbor's yard.  The dog (Murray) didn't notice it at first, until it started walking, then he was VERY interested! I can imagine Murray's thought processes were "what am I looking at?  Turtle? Possum? A turtlepossum hybrid?" In the end, Murray barked at whatever-it-is (which hopped away).

Armadillos have poor eyesight, and poor hearing. It is not uncommon to accidentally walk close to the wild ones (within 5 feet or so) because they don't sense that you are there.  Clap your hands or stomp your feet, and you will startle them, then they usually jump straight up in the air, then hop away from you.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #589 on: July 24, 2022, 21:15 »
I saw a red fox running through the woods behind the back garden (TBH, Mrs. Subversive saw it first).

We had to sequester Murray (dog) behind the gate on our deck or he would have gone after it.  I explored the back fence, and found a spot under the fence that looked like the place the fox had been coming and going from our yard. I blocked up the hole to prevent future problems.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #590 on: August 22, 2022, 10:31 »
I keep forgetting to post this, but we have a regular garden visitor these days.  This was just after a drink from my wildlife pond (hedgehog friendly).  I put a few cat biscuits soaked in water out each night as well and they are getting regularly eaten  :)
Unknown.jpeg

Growster...

« Reply #591 on: August 22, 2022, 18:34 »
Several chums have spotted Roe Deer nearby - five together in one bunch!

Sadly one ran in front of a car just down the road and made a huge mess of itself and the front of the car, which also had two cars behind which couldn't stop in time...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #592 on: September 19, 2022, 19:40 »
We had a visit from son (or daughter) of hedgehog today.  This little one was looking around under the bird feeder for dropped snacks, but was quickly won over by cat biscuits and water  :)

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/pacRh-pa1rQ

snowdrops

« Reply #593 on: September 20, 2022, 09:42 »
Oh I do love hedgehogs, how lucky are you NS. We used to see evidence of one around this time of year but not seen it for a few years now, used to eat the figs as they fell off & then leave a deposit!  :lol:
A couple of weeks ago I spotted this on our lawn! Eventually it dawned on me where my watercress seedlings in the green house had gone & then the 2 big beef tomatoes that had definite teeth marks in….the louvres in the greenhouse had stopped closing. One morning last week I went to open the green house doors & a little Bob tail shot out through the Louvres  :lol:. Hang on I’ll be back the photo hasn’t transferred from my phone to iPad
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

snowdrops

« Reply #594 on: September 20, 2022, 09:46 »
Here’s Peter! Think he’s got in at the very bottom of the garden, there’s a gap on a fence panel from the garden at the bottom , & they’re not far from fields. My grandson asked if we could keep it lol
3326F964-661D-447B-AA78-3582287D2729.jpeg

jaydig

« Reply #595 on: September 20, 2022, 16:42 »
We don't seem to see anywhere near the number of hedgehogs that used to roam around.  I recall some years ago when we had the three huskies, I was taking them for their last evening walk when they spotted a hedgehog crossing the road. All three went to have a look, nudging it with their noses when it curled into a ball. When they got no response I was just about to walk them away from it when the youngest gave it one more sniff, no response, so he turned round a peed all over it.  Poor hedgehog.  I moved the dogs away and made sure that he got safely to the other side of the road before continuing the walk.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #596 on: May 13, 2023, 22:30 »
It doesn't stink, to be a skink!

Do you see the skink in the photo? Close to the bend in the big root, and right next to my courgette planters.
20230513_114825.jpg

DanielCoffey

« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2023, 13:07 »
Stay off the moors, lassie!

This was a couple of days ago when we had a Sea Fog blow in. Under 50m visibility and total silence.
HorsesFog.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #598 on: May 19, 2023, 16:37 »

Do you see the skink in the photo? Close to the bend in the big root, and right next to my courgette planters.

No I can’t see it & I don’t know what a “skink” is but I know what a skunk is :lol:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2023, 16:55 »

No I can’t see it & I don’t know what a “skink” is but I know what a skunk is :lol:

A skink is a type of lizard.  It is hard to see in the photo because I was taking the photo as close as I could without scaring it away, which was not close enough really.  Also, my current phone insists on turning photos taken in portrait mode 90 degrees to make them landscape mode (I haven't found a way to consistently correct this). So, apologies for the photo.

To see the skink, look to the left side of the big root. There are 3 ivy leaves close together.  The blue tail of the skink lies along the edge of the root, near those leaves.  The striped black and pale brown body of the skink is oriented vertically in the photo, above the root, head pointed up.  This is a five-lined skink, better pictures can be found here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=skink+georgia

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 17:06 by Subversive_plot »

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 51 queries.