"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 625 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #570 on: February 25, 2021, 15:20 »
First clump of frog spawn in the pond and the water is heaving with frogs.  There is a lot of loud singing at night and goodness knows what come daylight  :ohmy:

As you go past to let the chickens out, the revellers all dive to the bottom  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #571 on: February 25, 2021, 15:38 »
I would have to move, absolutely paranoid about them.   Have had treatment for it.   But really no.  If I did by chance ever see one in the garden, I lock my self into the house, and got OH to drive it 5 miles away to a pond we know.    :ohmy:  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #572 on: February 25, 2021, 19:15 »
Some splashing in my pond yesterday - probably not my goldfish because there's only one left.  :(

Seems like the frogs think it's spring anyway.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hungry Caterpillar

« Reply #573 on: March 02, 2021, 18:52 »
My first butterfly of the year turned up today, a small tortoiseshell. Then a second about an hour later! The earliest in the year I've seen them here by about a month.
This post is 100% biodegradable and can be composted after use.

jezza

« Reply #574 on: March 31, 2021, 19:08 »
Hello just found these in the garden Cowslip primrose cross,, jezza
20210330_183858.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
We often get whitetail deer jumping the fence into the back garden, but now we seem to have a doe that has taken up residence in the back garden. She is there multiple times a day, hops the fence if she sees us.

This type of behavior often means she has a speckled fawn that she is raising somewhere in the brush in the back garden.  We have not seen the fawn yet, but this has happened many times this year with various other neighbors.

"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #576 on: January 27, 2022, 09:05 »
A couple of whitetail deer crossing the road in our neighborhood.  Several does crossed the road ahead of these two bucks.

Why are they called whitetail? When they run, the tail is up, and the underside of the tail is all white. It's probably an adaptation so they can see others in the herd when they run through the woods.
IMG_20220125_174307265~3.jpg
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:11 by Subversive_plot »

wighty

« Reply #577 on: April 06, 2022, 17:50 »
I know they're 'birds' but we treat them as pets.  Every year FIL has a mother duck nest in the raised flower  bed round the swimming pool.  This year she has a brood of eight ducklings and they learn to swim in the water that has collected on the cover over the pool.  FIL bought some chick feed yesterday for them.  Mrs. Duck has four 'admirers' hanging around trying to attract her attention.  We also have a home made ramp built so they can get out the pool.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2022, 20:27 »
I bought 8 Impatiens plants for Mrs. Subversive today. I didn't realize that when you buy 8 you get a bonus. See photo, look close in the center.

This tree frog appears to be one of our common ones. He hopped out of the plants when Mrs. S started planting.  I got him to jump on me, then put him in this small oak tree, near the vegetable garden and bird feeder.

IMG_20220428_134442788~2.jpg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2022, 23:40 »
I’d like a free frog with my purchases too  :D

Rob the rake

« Reply #580 on: May 12, 2022, 23:03 »
Two very different animal-related experiences today.

Looking for my sprinkler, I turned the corner down the path between two beds and came across a medium sized rat, busily digging up the chippings to get at the goodies beneath. It was facing the other way and the sound of a nearby rotovator must've masked my approach since it was blissfully unaware of my presence until I said "Oi, what d'you think you're doing then?" at which point it did a two foot vertical standing jump followed by a Scooby Doo-style scrabble and run. Most amusing!

The second encounter was more poignant. Driving back down the narrow lane from the allotment site there was a baby rabbit "playing" in the road, rolling over and over then coming to rest and repeating the whole sequence. After applying the handbrake and watching for a while it became clear that it was more like distress than play, so I walked up to it. It made no attempt to run away, so I gently picked it up, popped it in my open bag and motored round the corner to the local vet. Myxomatotis was the (expected) diagnosis and, with my permission, it was taken away to be euthanised, bless it. It weighed next to nothing and fit comfortably in the palm of the hand...only had the briefest glimpse of life, poor thing. I was so overcome I almost reversed into another car on the way out.  :(
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #581 on: May 27, 2022, 19:05 »
Baby fawn in our back garden today.

I realized this little guy was near me when I was working with some bamboo, and heard some movement nearby. I looked up, he looked at me from less than 5 feet away.  He came over to me, started touching my knees with his(her?) nose. He followed me around a bit, staying quite close to me. He seemed quite healthy, but very young. Body size about the same as a small to medium cat.

The mothers often go into our back garden areas to give birth (lots of cover, low risk of predators). The mothers leave the fawns to go forage, and come back at dawn to dusk time for nursing.

Wildlife experts say don't handle them, and I didn't. Just in case, I called the veterinary teaching hospital at the University of Georgia to get the numbers of a couple of local wildlife rescuers, in case mama doesn't come back.
20220527_131318.jpg

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #582 on: May 29, 2022, 00:21 »
Baby fawn update:

Mom has been coming back to take good care of it.  The fawn does not approach us anymore (so we think mama has warned it off of approaching strangers).

lettice

« Reply #583 on: May 29, 2022, 09:08 »
I have been trying to get a photo.
But failed miserably so far.

Every day for about six months or so now we get a visit from a blackbird that has a white wing.
It looks like one long feather is all white.

It loves the mealworms I think on my bird table, mostly the dropped to floor ones.
But so far has been very wary of any company, so not managed to get close enough.
It even evades my back of house cctv camera, that just does not capture it well enough.
I will keep trying.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #584 on: May 31, 2022, 16:00 »
I spotted this moth pretending to be a dried oak leaf today. It was on my mailbox lid minding its own business. It is supposed to be a Purple Thorn Moth and tends to be nocturnal (although this one is clearly having a day-trip and ignoring that advice).
PurpleThornMoth01.jpg
PurpleThornMoth02.jpg

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Collecting "Non-sensitive" data

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2019, 15:28
by mrs bouquet
xx
"500 words" school competition.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 08:48
by Goosegirl
xx
"Spring cleaning" the garden !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 20:06
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 51 queries.