mumofstig

• Global Moderator
"Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« on: January 25, 2014, 19:58 »
As requested  ;)

Springlands

Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 20:42 »
Thank you MOS. This will stop me from going off topic in the birdwatch thread.  Well maybe.  ;)  It would be really lovely to read peeps comments on the flora and fauna that they find on their lottie or in their gardens.  :)

Even though the weather has been horrible recently (with constant rain and winds) there are still signs that spring will eventually arrive. My trailing Aubretia is starting to bloom and is providing nectar for the occasional bee. There are a few crocus in bloom but no sign yet of any daffs. We have even had a few ladybirds about on milder days.

Our badgers are still making an appearance now and again - I just love the way that they amble along. Have given up trying to count the rabbits - although they look lovely are such a pain in veggie patch.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 20:47 »
My little 'wild' crocus that seed everywhere round the garden are just starting to bloom.   I also noticed that some of the snowdrops are nearly ready to flower  :D

The daffs are pushing through leaves now for me, but they have a way to go before flowering  :)

allotmentann

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 21:54 »
I am really enjoying the little mouse family living in my compost, they are so tiny and very cute. I love to see them scurry to hide when I open the bin. Plenty of grey squirrels of course, I have discovered that they are rather partial to cake and the berries on the Gaultheria. Lots of foxes too, who are also partial to a bit of cake.   :)

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 23:18 »
Oh the little mice are probably wood mice - they are lovely.  :) I have such mixed feelings about foxes - I can admire how handsome that they look but as a chicken keeper I am always wary of them.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 06:34 »
maybe not animal related but why walking in the woods yesterday with dog and family(it was peeing down too) I was amazed at the amount of different moss fungi etc growin on the fallen trees and branches was so pretty gonna go back during week we my camera,will throw some pics on here if interestd

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27 »
maybe not animal related but why walking in the woods yesterday with dog and family(it was peeing down too) I was amazed at the amount of different moss fungi etc growin on the fallen trees and branches was so pretty gonna go back during week we my camera,will throw some pics on here if interestd

I would like too see those pics if possible - mosses, fungi and lichens are amazing.

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:18 »
The moss is very beautiful. I love to see it on the trees, it makes everything look so lush.

I will have to google some images of wood mice and see if I can id them. They go running for cover so fast when I open the lid, it has taken me a while to be sure that they are there. But, I guess the way that the neighbours cat stands guard should be a clue!   :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18 »

We used to spend hours in Delamere forest photographing just what you are talking about while the dogs enjoyed the mud and undergrowth. I'm sure those on here who are not lucky enough to have woodland on their doorstep would love to see pics.

Erm...can I join in? Not totally relevent to GB I suppose, but we do have similar animals and plants.

plum crumble

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 11:52 »
lots of buds everywhere, crocuses daffs etc emerging.

Bill the cat ate the mouse family - I am both sad and glad about that - they were so sweet, but they had also chewed through the air vent and nested under my dining room floorboards. Bill now very smug, and OH has installed a new (metal) air vent.

small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:11 »
I think I need to borrow Bill!  :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 13:34 »
Erm...can I join in? Not totally relevent to GB I suppose, but we do have similar animals and plants.

Of course you can  :D

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 14:25 »

Of course you can  :D

Looking forward to that Tosca - already enjoy your bird pics and stories.

Saw a couple of common seals playing in the sea - they seem to enjoy it when the sea is really rough.

allotmentann

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 15:46 »
Seals would be a real treat to see. How lovely.
My little mice are indeed Wood Mice. Plum I am sure my cat would polish off mice in no time as well, I am very glad that they are in the compost not my house.

Springlands

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 16:04 »
Seals would be a real treat to see. How lovely.
My little mice are indeed Wood Mice. Plum I am sure my cat would polish off mice in no time as well, I am very glad that they are in the compost not my house.

You will be relieved to know that wood mice very rarely come into houses - they much prefer places like your compost bins.  :)

xx
Clasiscal music piano piece for Poirot's last case called "Curtains."

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post March 04, 2023, 09:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Downloading "Kon Tiki" to read.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2022, 18:35
by Yorkie
xx
Collecting "Non-sensitive" data

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2019, 15:28
by mrs bouquet
xx
"500 words" school competition.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2023, 08:48
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 54 queries.