New growers- introductions and advice

• 8 Replies

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
New growers- introductions and advice
« on: August 02, 2015, 20:59 »
My three old girls (5 years old now) are only laying one egg between them a day so we picked up 4 new hens yesterday.  They are approx 10weeks old so I guess it won't be till next year till we see eggs but that's not really a problem!

I have set them up in a spare Solway Mini coop in half of the run.  The other older three have their Green Frog loft and the other half of the run.  I've separated the run with red barrier fencing, the stuff you get on building sites but one of the new four has flown (twice now!) into the older girls run.  Both times they have gone for her, but as i've been on hand to distract and grab nothing terrible has happened.  I'll be increasing the height of the partition tomorrow... They can obviously see each other through the fencing and seem OK, looking at each other but no feather pecking.

Anyhow, on to a few questions...
How long will it take them to figure out that the coop is where they sleep?!  Past two nights i've gone out and caught them and put them to bed.  They are in a very small section of the run at the moment so it's a fairly easy task but i'd like to open more of the run up to them... Also, the big girls won't go to bed until the young girls are put to bed... find that a bit odd!

When can they be intergrated together?  I didn't think that my chooks were very aggressive... robins and other birds eat their food all the time but when the little Exchequer leghorn got in they were on her!  Obviously there is no real rush to integrate apart from the big girls getting some more space to run around in... I can let the big girls out to free range a few hours a day though when I am with them.

Lastly, one of the new girls has suffered a broken toe(s) at some  point.  That leg has a ring on it so I am sure the breeders knew (i'll be notifying them as well BTW).  Do you think it will cause a problem in the future?  She is not lame or anything...

Here is a pic of the new girls (names to be decided!)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: New growers- introductions and advice
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 07:05 »
They are pretty hens  :)   I don't think the toe will affect the little silver coloured bird, but see what the breeder says.

As for them finding their coop, try putting a torch in there before dark.  They should gravitate to the light.  The older ones waiting until the newbies have gone is pretty normal.  They are patrolling their territory until what they see a threat, is safely housed for the night.

As you have such a good set-up for having the hens side by side,  I would be in no hurry to integrate them.  The newbies need to grow up a bit and feel they can fend for themselves.  If the older girls can get out to free range, they will be fine in a smaller run. 

I'd say leave it at least a month.  If they start fighting, it will be difficult to stop them.  If the neighbours are old hat by the time the fence comes down, you should get away with a bit of chasing to determine the pecking order and it should all be over in a day or so  :)

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:34 »
I agree with New Shoot. Also has it been fairly dark when you have put them to bed? If not it may just be too soon for them! The originals are unlikely to go to bed first as they are being protective of what they see as their territory. The way you have them set up is ideal for integrating them.

The toe may be a genetic fault.

If the flying over continues you may need to clip just one wing on the culprit. It does not always work but is usually enough to put them off. You can search on here or Google to get a diagram for this with instructions.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 16:13 »
Thanks both :)  It hasn't been all that dark, they've just been getting agitated so thought it best to put them in the house.  Will give them a bit longer tonight! 

They are settling in well, the brown Maran is certainly the boss and the little Exchequer leghorn is bottom of the pecking order.  She is also the most flighty!  They are still very very nervous so sitting out with them and giving small portions of treats a couple of times a day.  They are certainly eating well!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 16:26 »
Toes being bent like that can also be caused by the wrong temps in an incubator as well as genetic but as has been said wont affect her laying.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 21:11 »
That's interesting about her foot.

Still not going to bed by themselves, lots of panic at 7.30pm which led to lots of flapping and trying to get into the big girls pen.  Big girls not impressed and trying to peck them through the mesh!  Silly babies... I do not think the big girls are ready to be friends yet!  anyhow, safely collected up and put in their correct house... I am sure they will figure it out soon!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:07 »
they wont be friendly - how would you like strangers coming into your house and stealing your bed? Personally I would let them get on with the squabbles and provide plenty of hiding spaces for the new ones to hide away.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:31 »
All going well so far, they are now going to bed by themselves!  The cream legbar is always last by an extra half hour but she eventually goes in.  The Leghorn tried to fly up a very big oak tree last night but couldn't get hold thankfully!!

They will be having another section of run opened up tomorrow which has lots of mature shrubs so that will be fun for them ;)

The other girls are going to bed before the newbies now and are doing a fine job of keeping them in line if they are close to the partition!!

Here they are before we fenced off the top of the house...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 10:46 »
They will be having another section of run opened up tomorrow which has lots of mature shrubs so that will be fun for them ;)

Well that should mean they get an earlier night then.  All that exploring will tire them out  :lol:

xx
growers pellets v growers meal

Started by jennywren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 15:42
by jennywren
xx
Introductions

Started by cejx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 19:46
by cejx
xx
Introductions

Started by Tina&Tony on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 07:59
by Jellyhead
xx
Age of introductions

Started by Debbieta on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 12:04
by Debbieta

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 30 queries.