soft eggs again

• 3 Replies

gailtearle

soft eggs again
« on: May 26, 2011, 16:27 »
hi one of my girls has laid a soft egg four days on the trot now , they have gritt and oyster shell should i mix it in with their food ?. i know it takes alot out of them to lay soft eggs , is she likely to get poorly ?im so worried about them but they seem fine . any advice most welcome thanks
 :(

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: soft eggs again
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 16:37 »
This wierd weather doesn't help Gail.  One of my Black Rocks, Skye laid two soft shelled eggs, (both together) the other day.  Think it was because of the gail force winds we had, first time she has done this.  The oyster shell and grit should be fine without putting it in their food.  I give mine a few drops of cod liver oil on some bread which seem to rectify it.  Someone on here gave me the advice that this helps them to absorb the calcium needed for the shell production.  I have started to do this about once a week as we have one hen that lays them regularly if we don't.  She laid a 119g double yolker yesterday and the shell was fine on it.  Wish she wouldn't lay double yolkers as this is the main problem as far as I can tell but there isn't anything we can do about that.

Hope it works for your hens.    :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

gailtearle

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 18:10 »
thanks for your help will try it out , i was wondering about the weather as they all seem to be hiding out the last few days , many thanks again

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 12:03 »
You could make some sort of a wind break for them so that they can shelter behind it.

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft eggs

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2009, 23:21
by poultrygeist
question
Soft eggs

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 23:03
by Chookster
xx
Soft Eggs

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 22:00
by Andy J

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 38 queries.