Mice

• 9 Replies

minnowburn

Mice
« on: April 24, 2012, 22:09 »
Hi all,

Im new to goining this site but looked at it many times and think its great, hope you can help with this one? I have built a new greenhouse at home and now have 3 field mice nesting in it, will they eat my produce? dont want to kill them as they have been in the garden for about 5 years now and like watching them run around, this is the first year ive planted veg at home and a bit concerned, I have a small alotment well away from home that I grow in as a community alotment with the National Trust and its great fun.

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks and best regards

Keith

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mice
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 22:11 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to move this across to Growing in Greenhouses for people to see it there  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 23:53 »

I have built a new greenhouse at home and now have 3 field mice nesting in it, will they eat my produce?

Oh, absolutely :) Last year I lost my entire strawberry crop (8X4 foot bed), parsnip crop and carrot crop to Mr. Mouse. This year they've made a beeline for my pea seeds. I don't kill them. I use box traps dotted around my beds, which are extremely effective, and relocate any captives to a gateway a mile down the lane. But frankly the mouse population in my garden is so big that it doesn't make much of a dent. The only effective way to stop the little critters taking your crop is to make a good barricade around anything on their menu of favourite foods. I'm currently constructing a cage for my strawberry bed and tunnels for my pea seeds and parsnips from 4mm wire mesh.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:25 »
As shokkyy says, yes they will eat your crops (they visit our polytunnel) and live trapping would seem to be the way forward if you don't want to kill them. Then if you like to see them in your garden, perhaps you might consider only growing food at your allotment. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Dopey113

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15 »
A wild mouse will not live for 5 years, at best, 2-3 at tops,
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 13:23 »
A wild mouse will not live for 5 years, at best, 2-3 at tops,

They might have had young by now.... ::)

Dopey113

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 21:22 »
Several....  :(

minnowburn

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 21:41 »
Hi Folks

Many thanks to all who replied, looks like I have to catch them and relocate asap.
Yes they have had young now so five little blighters running round and not afraid of running over my feet in the greenhouse!!

Again many many thanks
Enjoy growing

Keith

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 16:13 »
I have mice in the greenhouse & voles in the veg patch.  :( I think the voles are the worst...at least the mice run when they see me.  The voles just sit watching me...usually clutching one of my raspberries or carrots in their paws  >:(
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Springlands

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 16:30 »
Be careful with your seed packets also - the mice got into my greenhouse and chewed their way through several packets of seeds that I had left lying around.  :nowink:

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 39 queries.