Cat attack?

• 10 Replies

little brown hen

Cat attack?
« on: January 02, 2012, 08:20 »
My six old batts are having a bad time.   I found two standing outside looking miserable when I went down to close them in two nights ago.   Loads of white feathers starting from the bottom of the garden to their enclosure and two rather naked girls.   One has a broken and very swollen wing otherwise no other injuries - the vet and I strapped it up but the vet says the wing may have to be removed as its so swollen and damaged.   Would a cat chase and "play" with a hen like this - she could have caught the wing on the enclosure gate and there were no other injuries than the broken wing?   We had no cats in the area but have new near neighbours who could have brought in a cat.   Has anyone had experience of cat attacks?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Cat attack?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 08:59 »
very few cats attack a fully grown hen especially after having been on the receiving end of a peck. However sadly you can get the odd cat that doesn't give up. One of the best ways of stopping this is to sit outside and observe if a cat comes near then using a small water pistol (not one of the huge water blaster guns) and squirt the cat if it gets too close, after a few times the cat should get the message.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Geo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 11:10 »
Before we had chickens the local cats would cut through our garden to get into the fields.
The cats do not come anywhere near us now. The magpies and crows are also staying clear of the chooks.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 15:35 »
Of all the eleven cats we've had while we've had chickens, none of them have gone near them. Our neighbours cat will hunt wood pigeons and doves and squirrels, but gives our chickens a wide berth. But that's just my experience.

I really hope your hen gets better, bless her.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 17:29 »
our garden was the local toilet for all the cats arround until we got chucks any brave cat that ventures into the garden soon get chased of by all the chucks  :D could it possibly be a fox as they do attack in the day esp at this time of year ? the only other is a dog  :wacko:
hope all turns out ok  :blink:
Chicken crazy

little brown hen

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 07:04 »
Thank you all for your replies - yes I thought it might be my dogs but there were no holes in the fencing and they couldnt get over the top - they are pugs and have always been great friends with the hens - so the only way in was via a high wall.   I dont know much about cat's activities as I have never had a cat.   It could I suppose be a young mongoose who doesnt know about killing or eating eggs, just having some fun with my poor old chooks.   The bandaged one with the broken wing is doing very well, thank goodness I dont think the wing will have to be taken off!! - old batts are truly amazing!   I am now only letting them out to scratch when Im gardening and keeping an eye on them.   Sad but necessary!

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:02 »
I think a mongoose is your best bet.  They will take chicks as well as eggs, and perhaps this one was feeling a bit more adventurous   ::)

little brown hen

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 19:40 »
I think I met the culprit sitting on our doorstep when I came home last night - the cheek!   A big black sleek cat.   We havent had a cat in the area for years so I really do think he is the attacker and not a mongoose at the moment.   Any suggestions what I can do to deter this intruder please?!

grinling

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 20:40 »
I have used water pistols successfully.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 20:43 »
yes I agree a water pistol should soon sort it out  :D

little brown hen

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 06:48 »
Thanks!   I will buy a water pistol... and wait!

xx
Cat attack

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2015, 11:47
by Snoop
xx
Hen Attack

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 23:29
by Chicken star
sad
Dog attack

Started by judrop on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2010, 15:42
by Hayley'sHens
xx
Fox attack

Started by geri on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2009, 15:34
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 40 queries.