Grass it's all in the mind

• 5 Replies

Robster

Grass it's all in the mind
« on: April 03, 2015, 16:08 »
I was listening to Big Bob Flowered on GQT a couple of weeks ago and rather than seeing his grass as an unproductive painful chore.  He sees it as a source of valuable mulching material.  I have always thought the lawn a pain and at best it's been unkempt for several years.

So I decided that my lawn at home is now to be considered as a useful source of grass clippings for mulching in the summer rather than compost material.  So I scarified and put some holes in it and fed it with a bit of growmore.  As soon as I had completed that task it dutifully start to rain to wash it all in.  Excellent.

Felt quite virtuous and motivated by this revelation

Goosegirl

Re: Grass it's all in the mind
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30 »
It's good for mulching as long as it hasn't got any seed heads on. you keep it away from any stems etc as it can get quite hot, and you don't put it on too thickly.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:42 »
My birds get mine. The chooks eat it and the ducks rummage, then make a sunbathing spot on top of it  :)

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 17:49 »
Also, mowings are great for mulching between spud rows!

I used to have an electric scarifier, but it just tore out everything there was, so we rather like seeing the mixture of moss, daisies, 'Mind your own business', and of course, grass, with just a few weeds...

We use a simple hand mower for the paths down at 'The Patch', and it's great exercise!

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 20:40 »
Also, mowings are great for mulching between spud rows!

I used to have an electric scarifier, but it just tore out everything there was, so we rather like seeing the mixture of moss, daisies, 'Mind your own business', and of course, grass, with just a few weeds...

We use a simple hand mower for the paths down at 'The Patch', and it's great exercise!

i don't want to go off topic but do you find you get more foliage growth than tubers if you mulch potato rows? i tried mulching my potato's with rabbit muck last year (maybe went a little over the top) and found i had this problem. or does grass cuttings not add as much nutrients as rabbit muck?

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 13:37 »
Rabbit muck probably had too much nitrogen content, hence the excess foliage growth. I only twigged the other day about using potash on pots. I thought it was only for flowering plants but most pots produce flowers, so am going to try it later on. Grass clippings is more to help to keep the sunlight off any surface pots so they don't go green.

xx
Time out of mind.

Started by sophiejo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 08:59
by sophiejo
xx
changed my mind

Started by Lynne on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 09:22
by muntjac
xx
Anything changed your mind this year?

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 23, 2010, 08:57
by madcat
question
Potatoes...Please put my mind at rest !

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 09:21
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 38 queries.