Food after chick crumb

• 12 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Food after chick crumb
« on: May 05, 2011, 19:51 »
 The chicks are now 5 weeks old and I was going to start mixing it with growers pellets or whatever the growers stuff is called, gradually building up to taking them off the crumb.  The pet supply shop where I have been buying the crumb does not sell growers they only sell layers pellets and all their customers just use that. Should I go somewhere else and buy the growers? Also do I now start putting grit out now, as I will be introducing some greens.

PaulineM

Re: Food after chick crumb
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 20:33 »
Hi
Sorry I can't really answer your queries but I am interested in the answer you get as I have a chick that is 5 weeks old and this weekend I am going to buy some growers (hopefully).
I would imagine the grower's has ingredient to cope with the amount of growing our chicks need to do in the next few weeks, whereas the layers has supplements that help with laying.  ::)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 21:14 »
Exactly Pauline, thats what I thought, I was really surprised that they didnt sell it. They told me to keep them on crumb longer if I wasnt happy, I imagine that there isnt enough goodness in the crumb now they are bigger.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 21:22 »
I think its to do with the amount of protein and calcium in each of the feeds.  It really is better for the chicks if they have the correct amount of the correct food.

a healthy chick will grow into a nice healthy hen and will lay you lots of eggs, but  chick that hasn't had the right start in life could have lots of problems later on.

It's either called growers or rearer, depending on the manufacturers.

Just shows you how ignorant your pet supply shop is doesn't it?

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 21:23 »
Actually chick crumb is higher in protein than growers, and it is perfectly OK to keep them on chick crumb until they are ready to go on to layers (at about 18 weeks, or after they have laid their first egg)

I certianly wouldn't recommend putting 5 wk old chicks on layers.  It contains too much calcium for them, which can lead to early fusion of the bones/ over calcination (or petrified) bones which makes the bones brittle.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 21:24 »
I knew Casey could put it better than me!!   :lol: :lol:

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 21:42 »
What would you do if you had the choice though Casey. I know where I can go and get some Growers so not a problem or stay on the crumb. I'm thinking the Growers would maybe have something a bit more filling in it

pekinpete

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 21:54 »
5wks old is to young to be on growers keep them on crumbs till at least 12wks then start mixing growers,increasing growers so by the time 16 wks old on full growers after all you would not feed babies on adult food and at 5wks their still babies.

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 21:56 »
From what Ive been reading at 6 weeks you mix some growers pellets in with the chick crumb for a few days to get them used to it and then they are on the growers pellets until about 18 weeks.

Very odd your local doesn't sell growers  ???

http://www.pandtpoultry.co.uk/product/categoryid/73/productid/860

They say similar
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 21:57 by Squiggly »

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 22:12 »
we put ours onto growers between 5&8 weeks, as advised by professional chicken growers years ago.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 22:12 »
Thats what thought Squiggly. How are your chicks, looks like I only have 1 girl out of 6. very upset but think I've got my head round it now. We are hanging onto the boys for another 3 weeks by then I will know for sure and I will need to get some 8 week old hens in to keep Esmerelda company

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 22:57 »
Best choice would be growers.
Second choice would be chick crumbs.
Definitely not layers until they are much closer to laying.

Here's an interesting article about too much calcium in the diet resulting in kidney damage in laying hens:
http://www.worldpoultry.net/chickens/breeding/layers/kidney-damage-is-emerging-in-laying-hens-8719.html

Squiggly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34 »
Thats what thought Squiggly. How are your chicks, looks like I only have 1 girl out of 6. very upset but think I've got my head round it now. We are hanging onto the boys for another 3 weeks by then I will know for sure and I will need to get some 8 week old hens in to keep Esmerelda company

They are getting on well Gracie thanks for asking, I noticed that you may only have one girl and really felt for you, Im dreading finding out what mine are incase they are all boys  :( Ill put some pictures up in the next couple of days and we can all have a guess  :)
Im sure Esmerelda will love her new friends and she can show them what to do in her coop  :) xx

xx
First chick is out

Started by trinamc on Chicken Chat

12 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 13:27
by Pol
xx
chick less the 5 hrs old vid

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 16:31
by Craigx
xx
Pic of chick

Started by indigo on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 20:12
by orionsquare
xx
Mum and Chick

Started by gillian62 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 22, 2011, 11:39
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 39 queries.