any advise???

• 5 Replies

massa

• Experienced Member
any advise???
« on: August 13, 2010, 21:07 »
hi, i am now in the process of making my new chicken enclosure. i have never owned chickens before but have been looking into it for several years and think i have most things sorted feeders, drinkers etc but i am wanting to find out the little things people have done that make their home as nice as can be for them the things you cant find out in books!!

i have got a converted garden shed for the coop which measures 8ft by 6ft this had already been converted before i got it so is all ready to go, and the run measures 24ft by 32ft fully fenced 6ft high and netted over the top. the hut is just under 3ft off the ground so the chooks can shelter under it but was thinking about making a dust bath under it with a combination of sand and peat.

the ground they are on has never had poultry on before and was full of weeds and brambles. i have put an old pig ark it the run as extra shelter, i have some old logs and tree stumps to put in it too as well as some bit for them to perch/climb on.

sorry for the long post but i wanted to set the scene, i think i have all the basics covered but want to know what little extras can i do or put in now while still in the construction stages to make it as nice for them as can be!  thanks massa.

8doubles

Re: any advise???
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 21:42 »
Hi Massa, sounds like you have it set up about right.
If you are not getting a large flock it may be worth dividing the run in half so you can give one side a rest.
I would not bother with the dust bath as they will make their own , you can add the sand and compost at a later date when the run gets muddy.
As long as the coop and run are fox proof (chicken wire being only fox resistant) you should have happy hens.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 22:24 »
it sould be fox proof (i hope) i am using the tempory metal fencing you see around building sites etc sunk under ground around 2ft with a skirt of paving slabs around the base on the outside, and will all be covered with the type of netting game keepers use to make pheasant pens.  i just wanted to see if there was any little things people have done to make their runs nice, i dont want to get a few months down the line then think i wish i had done ........?

mumsy

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 23:01 »
Sounds like chicken heaven to me!!!!!  Good Luck!!

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 23:05 »
Hi Massa. I've only ever kept hens free range but from what you've described it sounds as if you've put a great deal of thought into the well being of your hens. You have clearly thought carefully about enrichment. My only suggestion is to pop along to your local greengrocer or market stall ad ask for their scraps. You will be give good bad and indifferent. Your hens will eat most fruit apart from citrus and all green vegetables. Cook carrots and potatoes. Advocardo skins are poisonous to hens but I cut it in half just like for a human and they eat the flesh and leave the skin perfectly intact with the stone laying near by. Cabbage leaves are good fun if you thread them onto a piece/loop of wire and hang it up just within reach. It swings about and gives them a challenge. Enjoy your hens.

massa

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 23:10 »
i will ask pepole to save me their scraps then! should have lots from the allotment too! i will let mine free range when i can but they will be in the run most of the time thats why i want to make it as nice as i can! thanks for all the tips!

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 40 queries.