BIRDS STOLEN AGAIN BETWEEN EXETER AND HONITON

• 21 Replies

JANEVANS02

BIRDS STOLEN AGAIN BETWEEN EXETER AND HONITON
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:29 »
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but if not can someone please let me know.

At easter I posted that my gold sebright trio of breeders had been stolen and now only four months on I just cannot believe it this morning I went to my birds to find the thieves have been back again cut a padlock on my run and stolen two gold sebright hens one of which was sitting on eggs and had two chicks under her, sadly they left the three eggs which had pipped but by the time I found them they were cold and although I put them in an incubator sadly they are all dead.

They looked through every hut and run even empty ones left all the gates open but lucky the birds all stayed in their runs because they could have got onto the road and been killed or killed by the fox, it is odd that they did not take any of my other trios / quartets or silver sebrights which are also very nice but obviously they are only interested in gold sebrights.

I hope this updated warning may help you keep hold of your birds.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:46 by DD. »

madcat

Re: BIRDS STOLEN AGAIN BETWEEN EXETER AND HONITON
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36 »
They must be stealing to order ...  and they know you have them.  Any clues in that? ???  Who would know?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 13:08 by DD. »
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42 »
I agree with madcat - stolen to order, be very careful in future and do not let anybody know what you have (if and when you replace them) unless you trust them implicitly.
Staffies are softer than you think.

JANEVANS02

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 12:49 »
In a way it looks like stolen to order but that does not explain why they took the chicks which were only 2 days old, as to who it could be the answer is anyone I have sold birds to so I am wondering if it is all worth it although I get great pleasure from breeding them I am begining to wonder if it is worth all the heart ache and continual fear of when will they be back and will they take my other breeders which are all like part of the family.

The world is becoming a very sad place.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 13:31 »
That is heartbreaking.  I hope you can find a way to continue as you obviously love your birds.
Cheese makes everything better.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 13:47 »
really sorry to hear your news they are scumbags of the highest order

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 13:53 »
Hi i am really sorry for your loss. i know how you feel we had birds stolen 2 months ago in somerset so i know exactly how you feel. i hope you dont give up, i felt the same way and still do now an then but it was the kind words and help from people on this forum that helped me through. if i can do anything for you please let me know.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 15:46 »
We had a couple of shifty looking geezers in a white transit call round ours a short while ago asking if I sold my chickens, luckily I had my dogs out with me and I think the looks of them put the guys off (1 is a neapolitan mastiff and the other a new foundland cross). So I explained "no I don't sell chickens nor eggs these are my pets". I asked what sort they were looking for and they couldn't give me a proper answer so I sent them away without passing on Grannie Annies details. So glad I took this route as it turns out that these chaps have been stealing from a few places near to us. Must admit the sight of two giant breed dogs puts a lot of people off - especially when one looks like a giant slobbery prehistoric creature.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 18:03 »
how sad that people will do such a  thing, if they are stealing to order would an article in your local press raise awareness that they have been stolen?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 18:39 »
These people really are the scum of the earth. My heart goes out to you.

Devonian

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 21:26 »
 Sorry to hear your news.  Have you notified the Police?  The reason I ask is that I had a transit going up and down near me recently and as I live very near Honiton I wonder if it's linked? 

I think they were attracted by my eggs for sale sign.  I will keep an eye out for them.

Believe these people may have been illegally camping on the local A30 recently.  Don't think this is the only think they have allegedly taken a liking to.   I suggest you inform the Police in case this has happened to others.

JANEVANS02

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 22:19 »
I have contacted the Police but the first time my birds were taken [only 4 months ago on good Friday]  it took them 10 days to visit me they did not even bother to go and see where the birds were taken from they just said if it happens again give us a ring gave me a card which said community police and were gone in about 30 seconds from the time they arrived, this time they were taken again on Friday morning and although it is now more than 48 hours the Police have not visited what can I say useless.

Even contacted on local neighbourhood watch again but they suggested I camp out where I keep my birds which is about 2 minutes from my house and maybe I will catch them next time, so presumably they think I should camp there for the next 4 months !!

Please let me know if anything more happens with the van you can pm me.   By the way I am betwen Ottery St. Mary and Talaton

Jan
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 23:00 by Ice »

hamstergbert

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 12:09 »
Sounds like it might be worth investing in a cheap miniature digital camera to keep in your pocket so whenever dodgy-seeming callers are round casing the joint enquiring about eggs for sale etc you can smile at them and take their photo. 

Any reluctant to be photographed can be reassured with your suggestion that "...there have been a few theft problems around here and so the Police said to take everyone's photos and we're not allowed to take just the shifty looking ones we have to take all of them including the bona fide callers, like you...."

Might, just might make the ill-disposed a teeny bit less likely to return with the stripy jumper and sack marked swag.  Unlikely the working bobby would be allowed to waste resource on pursuing it though.  Perhaps if the van showed up as unlicensed though....

Will not of course actually stop thieves,  but every little may help.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 16:20 »
when we had our birds taken about 2 months ago the police were much the same didnt really care, did even bother to visit us or see where the birds we taken from. it is no wonder that these type of people carry on as they know the police wont do anything.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 17:43 »
This just makes me seethe!   :mad: :mad: :mad: I am so sorry for this terrible loss.  What is wrong with people these days?
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
BIRDS STOLEN FOR 3RD TIME !!

Started by JANEVANS02 on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post September 29, 2010, 11:54
by joyfull
xx
Warning, birds are being stolen again.

Started by joyfull on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 18:57
by asd1
xx
stolen chooks

Started by goodegg on Chicken Chat

41 Replies
Last post May 08, 2010, 19:28
by goodegg
xx
it has happened again another bird stolen

Started by animal mad on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 22:43
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 29 queries.