self-sufficient

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

self-sufficient
« on: October 08, 2021, 17:51 »
I was talking to a fellow gardener the other day what we had of the allotments this year as you do in the conversation i happened to mention we bought another freezer to get all the veg and fruit in O" he said you must be self-sufficient then that took me back a bit because i hadn't thought of it like that

because we  always grow for both the table and freeze the veg and fruit what's surplus to use during the winter months call it self-sufficient if you like but i call it making the best of the seasons pickings  :D :D :D

GraciesGran

Re: self-sufficient
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 16:22 »
I try to provide as much as I can for the table.  Ok with soft fruit (freezer one), veg is in freezer 2 as is soup.  Also manage with potatoes ( don't eat many) and onions. Am genetically unable to grow carrots.

Following on from the young kids, no money stage of life I weigh everything I harvest and stick 50p per pound in the jar in the kitchen. Covers the cost of running the allotment.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 17:22 »
Following on from the young kids, no money stage of life I weigh everything I harvest and stick 50p per pound in the jar in the kitchen. Covers the cost of running the allotment.
I like that idea  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 17:33 »
I may be self-sufficient in peas or beans eg for a few weeks at harvest time - but I've never grown enough that I don't have to buy more veg from the shops.
Even a bumper crop of tomatoes (certainly not one this year  ::)) made into passata, has never meant that I've had enough to last the year.
For me veg-growing is a healthy hobby and I'm very glad that I don't have to rely on my harvest - I'm really just grateful for anything that actually grows  :lol: :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 18:05 »
 I agree with Mum we have to be grateful  what we get of the allotments some you win some you loose that's its the joy of gardening is it not. so what we get of the allotments is always a bonus to us gardeners

we  always used go to harvest festival because we though that was the thing to do when  having an abundance of good food of the allotments that season  but it church decided it was outdated so that was the end of that because they couldn't be bothered with fresh veg or fruit they said bring tins of veg and fruit instead of fresh veg and fruit so i told them i couldn't come because i had the car to clean  :nowink:

anyway its nice to see other's growing veg as healthy hobby and at the same time enjoying what you grow well done all :D :D

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 18:38 »
That’s a fab idea Graciesgran, but I think you’re undercharging yourself
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:49 »
That’s a fab idea Graciesgran, but I think you’re undercharging yourself

Probably am but it's easy to work out!

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 42 queries.