What sand to use in my clay soil

• 7 Replies

Sussex Pete

What sand to use in my clay soil
« on: May 07, 2012, 18:05 »
Hi,

This is my first post here, so please excuse me if i get it a bit wrong.

I need some advice on what sand i should use to "soften" my heavy clay soil please.  Living in Sussex at the base of the downs, our soil is either fine free-draining sand or solid-clay; nothing in between!!

I have been advised to lighten my soil with some sand, but i'm not sure which sand to use and in what quantities.  I also want to try growing carrots in containers and saw on a video (on this site) that a sand / compost mix works well.  I've lots of great homemade compost in the garden; again if anyone can advise me on sand type and ratio to compost for the containers, that would be great.

Yours (looking forward to some sunshine)

Sussex Pete

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: What sand to use in my clay soil
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 18:14 »
Avoid builders sand.  You can get horticultural sand which would be OK.  But, to be honest, the best thing for improving soil structure is organic matter (manure, compost, leaf mould etc) and LOTS of it.

Lime can also be added to bind the clay particles together to improve soil structure too, unless your soil is already quite alkaline from your location.

No idea re the containers.

PS Welcome to the site :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 18:17 »
By far the best thing to 'open up clay soil' is manure and compost.  The sand you want is the gritty stuff, not the fine brickies sand.  

Grit sand, sharp sand and horticultural sand or grit are what you want to shop around for.

Get that muck dug in, you won't regret it.   ::)   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 19:59 »
I've used 50/50 in buckets for carrots with good success the last few years,  steve

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 20:07 »
xlear your plot of weeds and roots and use sharp sand, manure and rotivate it up. i've had this done once only and its done wonders to the soil.

bear in mind that clay'ish soil does hold nutrients better than sandy soil.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:53 »
I use builder's sharp sand (it's coarser than ordinary sand), but if you're at the foot of the downs, it's possible you have a chalk base and therefore alkaline soil - the cheaper builder's sharp sand isn't washed and can be limey, whereas horticultural grit and sand have been washed of their lime content, but are probably prohibitively expensive for any large-scale purposes. I've managed to grow carrots in my clay by digging out deepish trenches and them backfilling those with a sand/compost mix, which saves on ingredients!
Good luck...!

bigben

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 12:32 »
I think Kajazy's idea is worth looking at - I have grown parsnips and other roots by using a bulb planter and taking out a core of my soil then sieving and adding sand/compost, before replacing into the holes.. This allows you to improve the very localised area you are actually growing in. I tend to do the same for squash and pumpkins by digging out a bigger hole and enriching it with manure/compost. At the end of the season it gets mixed in when I dig over the bed but is easier to do than trying to improve the whole bed in one go.

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 13:24 »
We've got heavy clay soil so I used lots of manure, compost, sand and grit and to be honest if I was doing it again I wouldn't bother with sand again.  Manure and compost and lots of it and I found that grit helped open up the texture.  My raised beds are about 10m x 1.5m and I was putting on about eight bags of compost + 4 bags of grit per bed for root crops (root crops don't like manure).  For non root crops about 4 bags of manure + 4 bags compost and the same amount of grit.  After about four years of doing this the structure has changed completely.

xx
sand and clay soil

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 09:58
by Jaye
xx
Sand in clay soil

Started by Roll Roll on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 22:55
by Swing Swang
xx
Improving heavy clay with sand

Started by ThePragmatist on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 16:54
by mumofstig
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.