Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

• 5 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery
« on: January 11, 2022, 20:37 »
Anyone grown both?

I have found the last couple of years that cutting celery is bolting due to erratic fluctuations in weather.  Is Parcel (the parsley/cutting celery cross) any better?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 20:43 »
IMO Parcel is really only worth using like herb for cooking. I thought It was quite bitter and I didn't enjoy eating it like ordinary celery.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 20:50 »
Thanks for the info.

My normal stick celery and cutting/leaf celery bolted for the skies last summer.  I find the cutting celery is only any good for using as a herb, but I have lovage growing on the plot so perhaps I just use that  ???

I might think a bit more about the stick celery.  I did quite well growing it in containers year 1, but perhaps that was beginners luck.  I could use the container for other stuff like salad leaves that I would probably get more out of  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 10:09 »
on the subject of celery that was an interesting topic as we grow celery every year but never seem to get it rite like most celery growers we grow the self blanching varieties

but like New shoot says probably it mite be an idea to try growing it in containers or boxes  we grow ours in a raised bed I think I've said this before somewhere I'm thinking of putting black plastic sheeting round the bed to see if that encourages  better blanching

but then that doesn't stop it bolting  so could it be the ground we grow it on hasn't got enough goodness in the ground we always grow our celery on ground with plenty of well rotter horse manure so do we need
to liquid feed as well maybe we should go back to the old method of trench celery but that's a bit time consuming me thinks  :nowink:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 11:27 »
I think it depends how much you use, but my success came from growing in troughs with a water reservoir.  The troughs were also in a fairly cool and partly shaded part of the the garden at home.

Year 1 - lovely celery although there were only 8 plants and I picked sticks from the outside as and when I wanted them.

year 2 - promising start and then bolted.  I also tried with leaf celery several times on the plot and in containers and they bolted every time.

Still undecided about this year  :unsure:

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 10:26 »
Celery has really shallow roots and loves lots of water, so will bolt fairly easily. So a mulch is very useful, compost on top is best imo. If on sandy soil you will need to water it daily

Try "Victoria" for a great self blanching one, it's noticeably better than any open pollinated selection I've tried to date. I sow mid march and mid May under cover in modules to extend the harvest time, I also dig out a couple in late autumn before any hard frosts and pot them up into my greenhouse. Still got a couple growing now as it's been so mild, probably only good for soup though! Also deer love it

xx
Cutting celery

Started by Bernard on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 23:05
by Kristen
xx
Celery

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 21:16
by gobs
xx
celery

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 11:47
by New shoot
xx
Celery help please

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 10:06
by Stratts

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 46 queries.