drought continues.....

• 12 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
drought continues.....
« on: July 28, 2010, 21:50 »
Since early May in N London we have had 2 reasonable showers, each only a few 10s of minutes long. Every few days the forecast shows storms passing, each time there are a few minutes of drizzle and the sun comes back out.
Watering is getting a bit of a bind, and the soil is so hard it took 6 hours of very hard digging to get up 3 rows of early spuds; in places I had to literally jump onto the fork to get it into the ground. Spuds don't seem to have minded too much despite not really watering them- averaged over a kilo of charlottes per plant which is OK for me.

Charlie

Trillium

Re: drought continues.....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 22:37 »
I truly wish I could send you some of our excess rain. Every 2 days we seem to get between 1"-2" of rain. The fields can't absorb anymore water so the farmers are hustling to get in crops before they rot. Strange thing is that we normally have weather like France - quite dry and hot.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 22:40 »
Been bucketing down all day - I even had to call it a day with my landscaping students as we couldn't get a thing done because it was that bad.

Please take some, I want to go to my plot tomorrow and have only got an hour to get some harvesting peas done!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 00:18 »
im in southminster essex,rain all around us within a mile or 2 its rain,,but here nothing,soooooooooooo dry

peterjf

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 00:32 »
a few drops in hull over the last 4-5 weeks

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 06:29 »
South London is the same chimaera. Hoping forecast is good they're predicting rain for Friday.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 07:46 »
We did have rain forecast for Friday, but forecast has changed now.

Was up on the plot briefly yesterday.  Everythign is looking quite dry, and I think my brassicas are suffering. 

But it's just not realistic to keep watering everything.  I'm keeping the dibbed leeks watered but everthing else is just having to fend for itself. 

Oh well!  First year of lottying, so it's all a learning curve. 

:(

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 08:36 »
I feel sorry for the beginners who have suffered setbacks which they wouldn't have in a more "normal" year weather-wise.

It's not always this challenging! (Well it is, but not as bad; it's been a tough year right from the word go for growing your own, even for the experienced gardener!)   ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 12:19 »
West London the same, having to water everyday, luckily we have a hose to use at our site. The paths are all bare though. I can't remember a dryer summer (perhaps 1976). ???

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 15:52 »
Last week got soaked in a rainstorm at work in central London, got home at it was still dry.

Other than my summer raspberries, that have suffered so badly I am going to dig them and start again, most things seem OK, and the 'subtropical' corn and squashes are now doing really well (ate first corn yesterday, and measured one pumpkin stem as growing 1cm an hour last week). Just have to spend an hour every 2 days just watering the most important stuff (brassicas, leeks, spuds look after themselves)

Charlie

Totty

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 16:15 »
It is a bit of a burden, feeing the need to water everything so often but i kind of think that, in taking on my allotment/getting a greenhouse in order to provide my family with fresh produce, i owe it to myself to make that effort. I am lucky in that i only live 50 yards from our allotment, but my plot is still the opposite end to the water trough!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 16:24 »
It's been raining here almost non-stop since the hosepipe ban 3 weeks ago  :blush: we need the water people to lift the ban so that it stops now  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Christine

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 17:43 »
The forecast of rain never gets to the east coast up in the North East it seems - could be that it's all stopping at the other side of hills in Cumbria.

I'm going to have to run out a hose to soak the strawberry beds tomorrow so that I can start to lift the worn out plants and put the runners in pots.

xx
The glut continues !!

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 12:32
by green fingers
thumbdown
drought

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

60 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 09:34
by Springlands
xx
The drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 11:33
by Babstreefern
xx
drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 16:54
by Oliver

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 39 queries.