All the makings........

• 8 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
All the makings........
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:39 »
Of the worst year on record. Talking to old Bob on one of the Blackpool sites he informs me they are writing this year off, we have been lucky to avoid the floods but all the rain has taken its toll, the cabbages have swollen and split, the carrots have been hit with carrot fly and he tells me that the spuds have now got white spot, toms are dying off with moulds. Its not quite as bad on my site but I am expecting it to get worse, so many things are bolting, lettuce, chard etc.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
All the makings........
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 13:18 »
at home and the lottie my spuds have white spots... and toms aren't doing that great either...

apes1978

All the makings........
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 15:06 »
what are these white spots, as i think i have some on my potatoes, are they still ok to eat?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
All the makings........
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 16:10 »
A few of my earlies had little white spots, but when I rubbed them htey came off, so I think its like a mildew or something.  I'm sure someone (was it WG?) said they are okya to eat, but not sure if it will affect any that are in storage.

milkman

All the makings........
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 16:19 »
Oh Aidy you are putting such a positive spin on things - I wish you would just tell us how bad it really is  :lol:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
All the makings........
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 16:29 »
You can eat your spuds that have been infected but they dont store very well or as long as normal and with the inpending potato famine looks like we will suffer this year or eat more rice :cry: . No point in beating around the bush Milkman, I am not a politician you know  :wink:

mum of 3

• Experienced Member
All the makings........
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 17:48 »
we were at plot on sunday and almost everyone has been hit by potato blight,we got away with it but had white spot so cut our loses and harvested them

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Re: All the makings........
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 17:53 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Of the worst year on record. Talking to old Bob on one of the Blackpool sites he informs me they are writing this year off, we have been lucky to avoid the floods but all the rain has taken its toll, the cabbages have swollen and split, the carrots have been hit with carrot fly and he tells me that the spuds have now got white spot, toms are dying off with moulds. Its not quite as bad on my site but I am expecting it to get worse, so many things are bolting, lettuce, chard etc.

Sounds as though the moisture and mild conditions has hastened the growth of leafy veg and they have simply reached maturity earlier than normal?
Ah well ! There is always next year !

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
All the makings........
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 18:29 »
Looking on the bright side, at least you can freeze mash  :roll:

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 40 queries.