Purple sprouting broccoli beginner query /advice

• 9 Replies

dougens

Hello

I live in the south west, Devon.

It's my first year growing PSB and I planted seedlings at the beginning of May.  I did try to grow from seed but they were too leggy and died when transplanted.

They have been doing well but the leaves have been growing at a very fast rate and I have cut a few of them off for eating and so the bed below can get some light.  I have savoy cabbages nearest in the picture and they were very shaded by the broccoli leaves!

Also I'm going to move them this weekend as I have 4 plants in a row by 80cm and I think that's too crowded, so will split them into two rows, 2 plants by 80cm etc.

Having used this (excellent)  site for info -  I was under the impression they would not be showing spears until next spring.  However I checked them this morning when watering and there are some spears coming through! 
I'm not complaining just wanted any advice as to whether my info is wrong or how best to look after these to get as much out of them as possible.

I've attached an image.

Should I be cutting the very large leaves?
Do they normally grow this big?

Thanks for any advice / help.
WP_20150625_08_25_46_Pro.jpg

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
Re: Purple sprouting broccoli beginner query /advice
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 14:32 »
They're enormous. You want to space them at least 45cm apart in the row, preferably 60cm or more.

I don't think you should be removing the leaves at all. The plants need them to grow big and strong ready to produce spears in the spring. It could the close spacing and removing the leaves that's stressing the plants and making them flower early.
Never stop learning

Nobbie

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 15:18 »
They do grow very big if planted early and looked after. Mine were 5' tall last year. Given their size now, I wouldn't move them as they'll really struggle to re-establish themselves in the summer weather with such a lot of leaf area to support. I wouldn't worry too much about removing leaves as they look to be robust plants and will just keep growing upwards and add new leaves. You might need to stake them before they start toppling over.

dougens

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 15:48 »
Hello NewSteve & Nobbie

Many thanks for you replies.  I have only cut a few leaves of each plant but will stop this immediately and stake them.

I think they're overcrowded and as you think they won't transplant now, should I just remove two of the plants so they have more root space?

It was a rookie mistake to plant so many but the seedlings came in packs of four and I struggle to bin plants!  You live and learn!  Less is more.

If removing two plants would it be best to remove the one plant that is flowering?
Also I forgot to ask, should I be mulching with manure / bark chips around the base of the plants to help moisture etc?

Thanks again for any advice

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 16:30 »
Hi dougens, even your Savoy cabbages look a bit close. Or are you thinking of transplanting them elsewhere?

dougens

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 16:48 »
Hello Snoop

I hadn't but maybe I should!  They are spaced at 12" apart.  Is that still too close?

I will transplant them this weekend so more space.  The issue is my plot is small and when you buy seedlings you got loads of them, I'll have to get used to being very vigilant and binning some.

Also the bed in the image is my brassica bed for this year (3 plot rotation) and small so realistically may only have 2 cabbages and 2 broccoli plants in it.  I wanted to sow some kale this weekend as well!

Ah well first proper year at it with the new beds so like I said you live and learn!

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 23:36 »
I tend to put Savoy cabbages in 40 to 60 cm apart depending on the variety (some are smaller than others and some are extremely large).

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 09:13 »
I would cut off the spears as they grow(and eat them of course  :lol:). They are very early, but any crop is better than none! Let the leaves alone now as they will need them to garner energy to continue to grow.

If you are going to thin out your savoys, remember you can eat those too  :nowink:

I think your kale will have to grow elsewhere  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:15 »
i would definitely move the cabbage, i stupidly planted swede next to my psb last year and had to move them.

stake them and cover with net to keep the butterflies off and leave them, change the fine mesh for bird mesh over winter if you have pigeon problems.

they do grow to monsters, and mine didn't finish until about april and would have still gone longer if i didn't need the space.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:44 »
dougens - we all make mistakes no matter how experienced we are. It is so tempting to plant too closely when they are just small plants as it is easy to forget how big they can grow.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli - sprouting already - too soon?

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 10:45
by devonbarmygardener
xx
My purple sprouting broccoli isn't sprouting

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2020, 10:11
by Grubbypaws
xx
Purple Sprouting Broccoli

Started by wyandotty on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 20:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Purple sprouting Broccoli.

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post March 29, 2009, 00:37
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 38 queries.