incubators

• 9 Replies

pushrod

incubators
« on: March 14, 2009, 00:28 »
my old (25 years +) incubator seems to be slowly metamorphosing into an oven, it still works but the thermostat tends to wander a bit and needs checking every few hours :( . So i think it could be time for a new one. What are the good points about yours and possibly more importantly the not so good points. Any recommendations - would rather spend a bit more and get something that is very straight forward and reliable - up to about 30 eggs at a time would be more than sufficient. cheers.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Re: incubators
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 00:43 »
Can you not get a new thermostat ? cheaper than a new inncy
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

pushrod

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:19 »
Can you not get a new thermostat ? cheaper than a new inncy

Have looked into it but it is such an old model that i suspect it might be difficult, although it looks like a fairly standard wafer type thermostat i think the problem would be the attaching of it. It could also be that the micro switch that it interacts with is the problem. I can't check it out properly at the moment as i actually have some eggs in there. I have about 3 themometers in there and a clinical themometer tells me that the temp is occasionally going one or two degreesC too high, what i don't know, is how long it is too high before it corrects itself. As just a minute or two at the high temp is unlikely to affect the eggs. I need to candle them in about 4 days so i will have a better idea then.

Anyway it is such a big old thing and is a hand turner, plus you have to keep topping it up
 with water that i quite fancied something that was completely automatic and just keep this for a "post delivery room" if you know what i mean.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 21:59 »
Good excuse to get a new one then  ;)

pushrod

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 22:17 »
Good excuse to get a new one then  ;)

certainly is  ;), if someone could give me some pointers on what is hot and what's not

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 22:32 »
Well for what its worth Brinsea have some good models out. I have the Octagon 20 EX advance (up to 24 eggs with humidity pump) it came highly recommended and so far it is excellent. I know they have a 40 version fully automatic. I brought mine from here. Really helpful and good back up service as well. worth haggling on the price too! ;)

http://www.hatchitincubators.com/

pushrod

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 23:42 »
thanks for the link foxy- that looks the business. What sort of hatching %ages do you get? and what is the build quality like?

I like the look of the RCOM ones on there also - do you know anything about them?

It will all depend upon how much money i can raise by selling all my worldly goods on ebay  :D

Foxy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:47 »
I am on my first one -so far about 80% fertility, holding temp and humidity perfectly! I was recommended by a friend who has prob the same success as with a broody -he hatches his own eggs so easier to judge performance. He advised to use with humidity pump, which I only bought as nervous about humidity. I got the octagon 20 Advance from hatchitincubators for around £140, then bought the pump afterwards. You can use it without though and top up the water channels. Very robust and easy to clean.
P and T poultry are doing massive discounts at the mo -on the RCOM range I think. I havent heard anything bad about them (RCOM 20 I think??) You might get a good deal,worth a try. :)

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:16 »
Hi

I have just invested in a new RCOM 20 auto with digital temp and humidity readings and it is really excellent.  I've used it once and am just gearing up for a second run.  Of the eggs I set 15 were fertile and 13 hatched successfully.  I is a good brooder for the first 24 hours although the floor area is slippy for the new chicks.

The only annoying thing is that it plays a tune everytime it turns the eggs!!  I think it did it first during Eastenders and interrupted my stepdaughter's viewing pleasure!

Hope that helps

Sarah
Mad chicken woman

pushrod

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 20:21 »
Thanks Foxy and Sarah, both types look promising. I think i might have a look in a few of the local shops and see if they have either of those models or similar. Cheers  :D

cheesy
incubators??

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 09, 2009, 18:20
by too many girls
xx
Incubators

Started by mark on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2006, 22:01
by mark
xx
Incubators

Started by kizza on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 22:51
by muntjac
xx
incubators

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 09:20
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 34 queries.