My thoughts on how I garden

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

My thoughts on how I garden
« on: May 04, 2020, 12:42 »
Mid summer last year, and ever since, I have not been comfortable with the fact that I make such hard work of it.   I have always enjoyed the challenge of growing veg and flowers where people tell me that it is not possible or won't work because.    This year I have changed all that, and have decided to go down the route of only growing what DOES WORK.    As a result, my garden is just happy doing its own thing.  Pests and weeds still are not allowed, but so what if the tomatoes are just easy ones, and the runners are just enough for me, and the Love in a Mist has spread a bit, it looks pretty.    I am much more at peace with it, and that is what it is supposed to be about isn't it ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: My thoughts on how I garden
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 18:01 »
Absolutely, Mrs B.  Everything's a balance between what result is worth the effort.  If it's not making you happy, then it's not worth the effort!!  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 20:13 »
Sometimes over the years, I have felt as if I am wasting time, when the challenge doesn't work   !! >:( Sometimes of course the results have been stunning.     I suppose when I think about it, I have always been defiant  -  Somebody says, you can't,  I say,  I can, watch me.    Tallest tree to climb, best Essay,  Fastest race,
and difficult plants -   yes that was me.  But not so with the garden now.     It has taken me nearly 40 years to grasp that many things don't like growing on chalk.  ::) :unsure:   :D  :D.      Mrs B

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 21:34 »
This has struck a chord with me as I watched yet another Dahlia disappear to field voles, and then found more of my pea plants similarly eaten... Perhaps I should look at the plants that succeed and just grow them?

I’ve been struggling for the past four years with ever increasing vole numbers and it seems the better my soil, the thicker my mulch, the juicier my vegetables... the more they eat. The less I harvest and the more depressed I get.

The only problem with growing what they don’t like is that there is so little that they leave alone...

xx
Thoughts on what to grow please

Started by wellingtons on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 15:34
by sclarke624
xx
How does the garden know what to do?

Started by catllar on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2015, 04:13
by Madame Cholet
xx
Bee Garden

Started by Nick36 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:52
by Trillium
xx
Very wet garden.

Started by Butterfly on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:10
by Leligdowicz

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 39 queries.