• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Diary of a suburban bantie cockerel
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2014, 19:55 »
Love the cuddle picture! :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2014, 21:22 »
great pic they make such a sweet couple  :)
Cant wait to see the purple eglu  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2014, 06:24 »
Cant wait to see the purple eglu  :)

Well its a very 'Alphie' colour  :lol:  I can see Foggy calling it the Pipsqueak's Purple Palace though  ;)

I am still mulling it over Joy. It is a lot of outlay, but the no-rot placcy option is appealing and the house is small enough that the three of them can cuddle up in the winter and keep warm.  Over winter they tend to squish into a nestbox and then use the perches over summer, so I wonder if the current house is too big  :unsure: If I get the run extention, it gives them a bit more outside room than they currently have as well  :)

Foggy and gang love their Green Frog house, even if he still hasn't managed to get the hang of the perches and is nesting on the floor each night  ::)  Beyonce, Patsy and Eddie have got it, but the old girl still likes sleeping in the doorway  :lol:

joyfull

« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2014, 10:18 »
if they dont perch you could use the eglu rabbit house (I used to use one for my broodies to raise their chicks on) and these fetch less money on ebay than the chicken ones, but you would need to see one first to see if it matches your birds needs.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2014, 07:20 »
Well a certain little white cockerel is getting his purple palace this week, but he doesn't know it yet, so everyone has got to keep it hush hush  ;)  We are staring with the basic run and adding to it once they get used to their new pad. 

if they dont perch you could use the eglu rabbit house (I used to use one for my broodies to raise their chicks on) and these fetch less money on ebay than the chicken ones, but you would need to see one first to see if it matches your birds needs.

Keeping feelers out for the rabbit house on the second hand sites as a growers unit for new girls.  If not, newbies may have to slum it in the wooden rabbit hutch and run this year  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2014, 15:45 »
Foghorn's diary

Stop the press diary - this is mega news  :D

Mum was sat on the garden bench looking at her computer earlier.  I asked if she was looking for new girls for me, but she said she was looking at something else and anyway, she has said we could wait.  I sighed a bit and kicked my feet about, but she just ignored me  ::)

Then she jumped up and said 'Wow, we can't miss these' and before I knew it, the rabbit hutch and run was out from the corner by the shed and mum was dashing off with a big box.  I tried to shout to her to find out what was going on, but she just said 'You wait Foggy, you'll be impressed' and she was gone  ???

Anyway, she arrived back with the box all pleased with herself and said she had been to see the nice couple she got Patsy and Eddie from.  When she opened the box, my heart skipped a beat I can tell you.  Aren't these two just the most stunning little ladies ever  :D  :D  :D

Mum says they are barred wyandottes and has set up the hutch so we can see each other.  Somehow and I'm not sure how ........... but I keep finding myself over at that corner of the run daydreaming  :blush: 

The pipsqueak will never top this news  :lol:
IMG_1186_zps13dd9fe7.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:29 by New shoot »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2014, 21:48 »
Awwww Foggie - more lovely laydees for you!
Spoilt rotten I feel! ;) :)

joyfull

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2014, 21:59 »
brilliant news Foggy, they are very pretty :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2014, 17:01 »
Alphie's diary

Wayhey!  The Lilac Love Nest has arrived and we are installed  8)  We got a bit scared going to bed the first night and couldn't get to grips with the new feeder or the perching bars in the entrance.  Mum took the first section of bars out and gave us our old feeder back to make us feel more at home.  I do think we look particularly good in it though  :D

This is our summer set-up with the partial shade cover on the run.  The nice people at Omlet sent us a full length cover for free as delivery was delayed, so we are sorted year round  8)

The new girls are quite taken with it already and have had a good nosy.

Naomi told them it was for upmarket girls like her and Eva only and they could get back to their rabbit hutch  ::)  They are only in there for a bit, then Foggy reckons they are for him.  Well I'm not so sure  ;)  They couldn't stay away today  :lol:

Can't blame them.  Talk about a deluxe pad.  Looks smart, its warm and comfy and there is more than enough room for a couple of tiddlers  :D  Just got to see if I can get mum round to my way of thinking on that one  ;)
IMG_1205_zps8169fe02.jpg
IMG_1200_zpsd0bd1f4e.jpg
IMG_1196_zps26b775f1.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:31 by New shoot »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2014, 17:09 »
Ooooh nice digs Alphie!! ;) :)

Now you can't have a new home and a new harem - that would be greedy!! :D

joyfull

« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2014, 10:25 »
lovely new home you have there Alphie and I just love the colour  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2014, 18:47 »
Foghorn's diary

Well diary, been a bit worried about the old silver laced dottie recently.  Silly old bird jumped off the ledge in our run and landed badly we think  ::)  Anyway, mum came home from work and found her hunched up in the corner looking worse for wear and not wanting to put weight on that leg.  Mum took her into the house and put her in the puppy cage for a few days.  No breaks mum said and she couldn't find any swellings or hot spots, but my old dottie was happily settled and eating well, so she just gave her a few days rest.

Next day mum had off, she put the cage in the garden and left the door open,then let us out as well.  My old dottie was out like a rocket and although she's still limping a bit, she was much better and joined us for a roam around, even though she sat down to rest every so often.  When mum called us back into our run with the treats, she came as well, so mum left her alone.

We were out again today and the old girl was out and about, but then decided it was all too hot and retired to the run. I went to see if she was OK and she said she was just ready for a sit down and a snooze.

She's very fond of afternoon naps, but mum says she is 9 now, so its only to be expected.  For an old girl, she's still got some fight and is front of the queue when anything is on offer.  She's prone to peck anyone who tries nicking a bit of what she thinks is hers.  Even I watch myself round her as she's never been sweet tempered and old age is not helping at all   ::)

Mind you, she may have her work cut out when the new girls join us. The pipsqueak was getting fed a strawberry through the mesh of his ridiculous new purple set-up (seriously I wouldn't be seen dead in it  :ohmy:), when some-one had other ideas   ;)

That's my girl !  Show him how much you rate his authority and steal from under his beak  :lol:  The look on his face was priceless  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

IMG_1238_zps0e40f08c.jpg
IMG_1232_zps72ffa59a.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:32 by New shoot »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2014, 19:26 »
I'm with Foghorn on this one --- just look at Alphie's face  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2014, 19:35 »
Alphie does look a bit put out!!
I'm sure he has a little respect for an old lady though :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2014, 16:20 »
Alphie's diary

Well we had been out in the garden most of the morning and were looking forward to a sleepy afternoon back in the run.  It looked like being the perfect day, but then you-know-who was let out  ::)

He came straight over and the Lilac Love Nest had to be defended.  I let him know he wasn't welcome by glaring straight at him  ;) 

He then had the cheek to walk up the side of the run drinking raindrops off the mesh  :mad:  That's our favourite thing to do after it has rained, so more chasing off was needed  ::)

He went away after that.  'Bout time too!  Now where were we girls?  Dustbath ...... snooze ........ preening session ....... what do you fancy?  :D

Foghorn's diary

Well the new girls come out in the garden whenever we get let out now  :)  I bet it won't be long before they move in  :D

I was having a good shake out of the feathers and the girls were having a rummage around, when the pipsqueak jumped up on his bit of wood and starting showing off  ::)  How good he thinks he is going to look posing in front of that stooooopid purple coop I have no idea, but he seems to think he looks the biz  :lol:

Beyonce was showing the new girls how to dig in the border and the rest were too busy looking for worms and slugs to pay much notice mind.  He was trying his best, but not even his stuck-up divas looked that impressed  :lol:

I'm not sure mum was too thrilled to have leaves chucked all over the grass, but we enjoyed it.  My old dottie's poorly leg is pratically all mended now and even she was digging away with the best of them. Those new girls catch on fast you know.  Not long before they were getting stuck in like the rest of them.   

They are a bit cheeky mind and were snatching up worms right under Miss B's beak.  I have warned them to watch their step with her, but they reckon they are too fast for her to catch them.  Hmmmmmmmmmmm - reckon I might be stepping in to rescue them a few times before they learn their lesson  :lol:

IMG_1266_zpsd5b34200.jpg
IMG_1278_zps08232109.jpg
IMG_1261_zpsc3faef56.jpg
IMG_1264_zpsafa764d7.jpg
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 13:34 by New shoot »

xx
Bantie Orpintons???

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:56
by Evansent
sad
Hen now cockerel

Started by The Goods on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post January 07, 2013, 21:06
by Paul Plots
xx
I went out for a cockerel and came back with....

Started by Honeysuckle on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 17:25
by joyfull
xx
Ixworth Cockerel

Started by PBOV on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 15:01
by joyfull

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 57 queries.