Garlic resprouting

• 3 Replies

celeriac

Garlic resprouting
« on: September 20, 2020, 15:57 »
I planted some garlic cloves back in spring (can't remember exact date but it was the last month that the pack said I could plant), 9 cloves in a deep 1' x 1' container.

They grew well at first then wilted and died a few months back. I dug out a few and they were fine but pretty small and the cloves were only just separating. I've been digging them up and using them as required but I've just gone to pull some up and they're all sprouting again and looking healthy.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic resprouting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 16:35 »
As you've discovered they will resprout if left in the soil after dying back, and next year each clove in each bulb will try to grow into a new bulb if you leave them where they are.

I proved this accidentally after somehow managing to leave an entire garlic bulb unharvested - the cloves on the resulting bulbs the following year were not as big as they would have been if they'd been planted normally (i.e. with a lot more space to grow  ::)) but they did produce usable cloves.

Not much use for culinary purposes now they've sprouted - you could try separating the cloves if you can do that without damaging them and replanting them individually at the proper spacing (Voila - autumn sown garlic!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 17:07 »
If the sprouting garlic has got to the size of spring onions, then you can use it in stir-fries and curries. Just Google Green Garlic recipes.
They use quite a bit of green garlic in winter/early spring in Greece :)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 18:25 »
I have always heard to plant garlic on the shortest day of the year, harvest on the longest.

My latitude is a little off, but I think that is what your garlic is trying to do naturally.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
my garlic

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 16:33
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 40 queries.