Umm, a bit of an unusual question..

• 6 Replies

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
Umm, a bit of an unusual question..
« on: October 05, 2012, 10:18 »
I have been having an ongoing war of attrition with the foxes living on our allotment. As my plot is closest to the underbrush they focus most of their attention on my plot and leave plenty of "messages" around. Not nice when I'm hoping to bring my toddler to the plot next spring to get a tast for allotmenteering. I've had some success in my garden in keeping the foxes away from the chickens, but less so on my allotment.

However, twice now I've found a relatively deep (ca 15 cm) steep-sided hole dug into a freshly dug-over bed with a surprise in it, not covered over or anything, or looking like it was from a fox. Don't ask me how, but I've had to become a bit of an expert at recognising the presence of a fox. The hole is really deep so it can't be cats either, but I'm at a loss as to what this might be.

Before I go asking for my allotment neighbours to start taking DNA tests I was wondering if any of you had experienced anything like this and figured out what was causing it?
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

savbo

Re: Umm, a bit of an unusual question..
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:20 »
that sounds very much like a badger latrine...

Debz

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:27 »
Foxes will dig a hole to bury food in if they have had a successful evening hunting and have eaten their fill.  They want to hide their food for a hungry day.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:46 »
Lucky you. You have a badger latrine. Badger poo is really revolting and gloopy. At least fox poo can be easily shovelled up.

They come looking for worms and stop to deposit. They will be back.

You have to be really careful with badgers as they are protected and you are not allowed to disturb them.

I know it is politically unfashionable, but there are too many badgers. Why have hedgehogs declined? Badgers are the one animal that can undo a hedgehog and eat it.

Moonshine132435

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 11:05 »
Thanks Salmo, your description is bang on the money. I cover the holes and fill them in, but am dreading having to turn over those plots before planting!

Moonshine132435

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 11:06 »
On a separate note, I think I'll also put my plans to make a hedgehog home on hold; no point encouraging them to come and eat my slugs when I'm really just creating a buffet for the badgers.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 13:24 »
I used to have an old badger who regularly visited my front garden.  When we moved in, he used to do his business on the lawn which was raised up off the ground level.

We removed the raised lawn and replaced with a hard standing with a narrow border nearest the house planted with two round box bushes.

He decided to flatten the top of one of the bushes and did his business right on top!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 13:27 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

xx
Unusual veg

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2013, 22:40
by gavinjconway
xx
Unusual Roots?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2010, 13:42
by JayG
xx
Unusual legumes

Started by Mrs Soup on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 21:08
by gobs
xx
unusual pea varieties

Started by mattwragg94 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 19:19
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 38 queries.