Poorly hen?

• 14 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Poorly hen?
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:28 »
Hi everyone - sorry, this is probably an over-reaction but I'm a little worried about one of our four hens which we collected on Saturday.

She seems very quiet and spends a lot of time sitting in the corner fluffed up with her neck tucked in.  She has eaten and had water - we thought it may have been a soft shell but she laid an egg this morning which was perfect.  However, no improvement... she hasn't left her house today at all...

Am thinking of taking her to the vets for a check up (need to get a wormer anyway so could kill two birds with one stone so to speak (shouldn't joke!))... just wondering if you can reassure me or does she seem poorly?

If all four hens were like this I'd probably think little of it, but the others are so perky...

thanks

D

Vember

Re: Poorly hen?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:32 »
Hi CC

Sorry to hear your girls is still not 100% :(
Have you given her a good looking over?

Is she eating/drinking? Have you seen her eating since you fetched her home?
Were you able to check her crop first thing before she ate (if she is doing)?
Is she pooping if so what are they like?

Vet's if a good poultry one is prob best bet, help put your mind at ease :D

Sarah :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:37 »
Thanks for your reply :-)

She was eating but I'm not sure if it was a large quantity - I did think that it could be too much grass in her crop?  I haven't checked yet but someone at home is now (just waiting for update).  Out of all four she looks the healthiest - largest and very good coat of feathers.  It's difficult to tell for sure what her poops are like - there have been a couple which are more runny and a slightly more brown colour rather than the green/white the rest have been like - thought nothing of it at first but maybe it's her?

I'll post more info once she's been checked over.  Gonna try feeding a little warm mash and make sure she gets some water.  She was sat in the food bowl yesterday eating (although it's hard to tell if she's consuming food or just pecking at it I guess?)

Vember

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:55 »
The poops you describe sound like ceacal poops, they're quite normal :)
This page is fantastic to sort the normal's from the badies :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

It is best to check the crop first thing before she eats, basically the crop should fill up during the day, and normally mine at bedtime are quite big. Then over night this then gets ground down so come morning it's empty again ready for a re-fill.

In cases of impacted crop in the morning it will still feel full, sometimes quite hard. With sour crop there will be a smell if you open her beak and the crop will feel squishy. Although I've no experience of sour crop personally.
There's more info here which may help ???
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

It might just be that the whole move has really unsettled her. If she's finding the food dish then she can't be feeling that bad :D Little sweetie sitting in the dish :lol: :D

Sarah :D

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06 »
Thanks for the reassurance!  I've read elsewhere about ceacal poops so fingers crossed that's all it is.  I've sent the photos off to my girlfriend for analysis :-)

I don't think she's had any food today though as has just been sat huddled in the corner - she did lay us an egg though - does this normally stop if they're a little unwell?

The first day they spent a bit of time in the garden so maybe she ate something funny... am awaiting results from the crop checking (although maybe not best time of day).

Have vets booked for 5.50pm so if still no signs will take her in - better safe than sorry, and they can worm them.

Do you think we should separate her in case something contageous or is that unlikely (I guess the others would be contaminated by now anyway)

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06 »
I tend to agree with Vember, and give her a few of days before the vets on this one. I doubt she has an infection and she is laying normally. The whole process of coming out of the cages is extremely traumatic so it may be she simply needs a bit of time to adjust. She may be a little dehydrated so keep an eye on her fluids. Keep us posted! :)

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:12 »
I wouldn't worry about the worms or worming just now as she wont have them and the vets will only advise on products. Unless you are free ranging I wouldn't bother yet anyway. The most commonly used wormer is flubenvent easily purchased from the internet and a prescription isn't neccessary. I worm spring and autumn only just before moving to fresh ground.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:16 »
Thanks - yea, we're in a bit of a panic so vets seem a good option.  If you really think she'll be ok in a few days I'm happy to leave it - it's just that I'm new to chickens and because the others are so lively I find it hard to just leave her in the house.

Will keep giving fluids manually throughout the day and will check crop each morning and breath etc.

It doesn't help that I'm at work so can't just quickly check on her for reassurance...

Thanks for your help though :-)

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 11:22 »
Hope that helps -obviously if there is no improvement the vet may be the best option. However for at least a couple of days just keep a close eye on her - if she looked quite healthy compared to the others she should be OK. Any problems just yell in this direction! :tongue2: :tongue2:

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 11:50 »
sorry to hear that, chasey.

our Ex-batts are the main cause of my sleepless nights!

Sandra was always the most feathered and she spends a lot of time cuddled up to herself in the way you describe.  she's a bit mopey anyway and the bottom of the pecking order.  We did take her to the vet once for it and she just gave us anti-biotics. (she'd been out about 5 months by then)
Explain to the vet that she's only just out though, because those things are prescribed up to the eyeballs!

and she might just be shy and cold.

fingers crossed. xx

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 11:54 »
Thanks andreadon - sleepless nights indeed!!

I'm going to try her on a little stodgy mash to see if that helps cheer her up.  Lots of water too.

The stupid thing is I've had her two days and am in a panic!  She was quieter from the beginning anyway, and thinking about it, the smallest and most feather-bare hen was picking on her a bit - small but mighty I guess!  So she might just be a little shy one and will always be like it.

But if she's suffering then I'd like to help her - will see how she goes throughout the day!

shiatsusu

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32 »
HI chase,
 sorry to hear your girl is giving cause for concern. We got ours a few weeks ago and one had exactly the behaviour you've described the day after we got her. I was v worried about her but withing 2-3 days she was fine. I suspect it could be a simple case of readjusting to her new environment and would give it a couple of days before you pay vet's fees. Good luck  :)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 10:13 »
Just an update - we decided against a trip to the vets - after all it would probably add to her trauma if that's all it was.

This morning she seemed a little more perky so fingers crossed she's coming round after just a few blue days.  I will update tomorrow too :-)

Darren

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02 »
Good news - she's starting to show more signs of settling in, and has joined the others in the run today which is great to see (she hasn't really ventured out much at all the first few days).

Thanks for convincing me not to go to the vets with her!

shiatsusu

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 14:51 »
So relieved for you- it is a worry when they seem miserable, but I'm sure they just take a few days to settle in a new environment.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
Poorly hen

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 16:24
by Hawkins
xx
Poorly Hen

Started by frillfoll on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2008, 09:17
by Aunt Sally
xx
Another poorly hen.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 12:21
by Chas

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 35 queries.