Plans for next year

• 19 Replies

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Plans for next year
« on: December 12, 2012, 20:13 »
I am planning to get Barred Plymouth Rock bantams and Rhode Island Red bantams.  Very tempted by muscovy ducks as well.

What are you all planning?
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Plans for next year
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 20:21 »
Had to rehome my hens in the summer due to ill health.  I'm moving home on saturday and will be getting more when I build an enclosure for them.  Not sure what breed to get at the moment but definately something that lays well most of the year.)  Can't wait, I miss having chickens. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

ANHBUC

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 20:33 »
Had to rehome my hens in the summer due to ill health.  I'm moving home on saturday and will be getting more when I build an enclosure for them.  Not sure what breed to get at the moment but definately something that lays well most of the year.)  Can't wait, I miss having chickens. :)

Sorry to hear that, I hope you are feeling better now.  Good luck with your move on Saturday Ice.
New Home.jpg

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 20:48 »
Yes, much better thanks.  I'll share the cake via the PM system. :D

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 21:20 »
Good news all around, Ice.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 22:04 »
Good news all around, Ice.
Definately. :happy:

Willow_Warren

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31 »
Well I've only just got 3 new pekins, whom I'm hoping will start laying in the spring.

I'd like to get a couple more hybrids next summer to see me through the winter with eggs!  I'm thinking a coral (I've always wanted a white chicken to lay white eggs) and something else not sure... will have to see though as I already have 5 hybrids and their run isn't really big enough for any more (although the coop is  :blink:)

Hannah :)

helens-hens

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 15:17 »
Well I was going to get a couple of pure breed hens next year but it is possible that may be brought forward to this weekend as the last hen from my 'starter pack' girls, Henrietta, unfortunately had to be put down on Tuesday (she had a tumour) :(.

So much for planning!
Helen

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 17:27 »
Well I was going to get a couple of pure breed hens next year but it is possible that may be brought forward to this weekend as the last hen from my 'starter pack' girls, Henrietta, unfortunately had to be put down on Tuesday (she had a tumour) :(.

So much for planning!

So sorry about Henrietta.  I bought my first girls in December and I think it made things easier with the shorter days.  I am trying to intigrate some of my flock together in an eglu cube.  It is great fun on a night trying to get the newbies down from the rafters in the walk in run.  Then they all complain when I put them in the cube with the big girls.  Hopefully they will decide it is best if they go in under their own steam soon.  :unsure:

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 13:19 »
Thanks for message re Henrietta, I have felt quite upset about it as it is the end of an era in a way, those first 2 hens gave me first insight into hen keeping and overall it has been great. I guess they will always be a bit special because of that.

At the moment I have a 20 something week old 'Ranger' (Sussex/Rhode cross) called Florence, who is practically scared of her own shadow. I am in contact with the place where she came from and they have some 12 week old pure breds (RIRs, Welsummer, Plymouth Rocks). These are bit younger than I was hoping for but they will all be about the same size and I think it might just work - particularly with the shorter days, as you say. The breeder feels they will be able to stand for themselves.

We'll see what happens tomorrow!

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 13:55 »
I have found my young Welsummers that are also 12 weeks are very agile so they can easily get out of the way of my older girls.  My little bantam that is 13 weeks old is like greased lightening. 

I hope that your new flock integrate easily.  Don't forget the photos.   :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 22:57 »
I am planning to get Barred Plymouth Rock bantams and Rhode Island Red bantams.  Very tempted by muscovy ducks as well.

If you had a lovely little RIR cockerel to run with the Plymouths, you would get some lovely little auto-sexing black chicks which look like the Black rocks.  We have 8 of our last hatch of the Shaver blacks, same cross and they are lovely!  18 months old now though!

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:36 »

If you had a lovely little RIR cockerel to run with the Plymouths, you would get some lovely little auto-sexing black chicks which look like the Black rocks.  We have 8 of our last hatch of the Shaver blacks, same cross and they are lovely!  18 months old now though!

That is the plan G A but I am wanting bantams as I haven't seen the cross anywhere and thought they might be popular like the Black Rock.

Debbieta

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 14:09 »
A lot of people seem to favour bantams,  is there any particular reason why, are they quieter or easier to handle.  All mine are large breed fowl so I'm wondering if I'm missing something :wub:
Debbie

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 14:17 »
They are smaller but can be just as noisy.  Their eggs are smaller but the proportion of yolk to white is greater which I like.  They don't need quite as much space.  They are a nice size to handle and a lot less poo!!!   :blink:

xx
The best laid plans!

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post October 18, 2013, 20:19
by traacyken
xx
Building your own Chicken run plans....

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 04:04
by Selfsufficientme
xx
Vintage Ark Plans to download

Started by kegs on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 12:09
by kegs
xx
wanted coop plans

Started by mugins on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 00:00
by mozza15

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.