Blue trays

• 17 Replies

noshed

Blue trays
« on: February 11, 2009, 10:17 »
For anyone who hasn't worked this out already, the plastic blue trays that mushrooms come in are very handy about the plot - holding pots, drying onions, keeping foxes off your seed beds, chitting spuds, even as riddles I suppose.
You can get them free from many greengrocers, cafes and market stalls. In Walthamstow you can pick up dozens on a Saturday morning at the market. The stallholders seem glad to get rid of them.
The labels on the end are revealing as well - we seem to get a lot of mushrooms from Poland, talk about air/lorry miles, for something that just needs a dark shed.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

sclarke624

Re: Blue trays
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 13:19 »
Get mine from T e sco and have been growing salad veg in them since last year, they're great aren't they.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 13:24 »
Good idea Noshed. I think my supermarket has them too. I'll ask next time i'm in.

On a different note, why is everyone on here encrypting the T supermarket. Has there been some court action or other that i've missed.  Just curious.
Liv.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 13:28 »
It's just a laff, we call it a swear word.  At one time if you put in tesco another word came up 'the store not to mention'.  We shall see in this post if it still does.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 20:11 »
I have a couple I managed to save, they were about to be chucked into a dumpster. The boxes came from a chinese takeaway, they paid someone to take them to our saturday dumpster service, not good.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 17:32 »
I get these from the guys at the marker. I love em, stackable too!

Stree

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 23:08 »
I find that the larger size Ferrero Rocher containers, hard clear plastic tray with lid type,   about 10 inches by 10 inches and a liner with eggbox like depressions  in)
are ideal for sprouting peas and sweetpeas, just a drop of water and a few seeds to each section, lid back on and and the windowsill for two days
Make sure all the chocolates are gone first though, otherwise they melt  when the chocopropagator warms up.
I had to eat all mine so I could have a dabble with some wavy mixed climbing Spencers.
It was tough, but we all make sacrifices for our gardens.
I am still working on a reason to eat more large Toblerones. Triangular cucumber trainers?

AndyRVTR

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 20:12 »
When I was out shopping with the wife this afternoon, we popped into our local greengrocers for some mushrooms fo tonight's dinner and there was a pile of blue trays stacked about 10 high.
out of pure cheekiness I asked the girl at the checkout what she did with them, and she told me they would be thrown out, so I asked if I could have them, and she happily said yes, so into the the boot of the car they went.  :) :)

My question has to be what do other peple use theirs for down on the plot??

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 21:51 »
Has made a handy sieve for our own compost. Like the idea of proecting crops others have done this.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 21:58 »
If you have the deep ones that the mushrooms come in, they're good for starting leeks of in, or small quantities of cabbage. Anything really that needs a bit more of a root run than they get in a seed tray.
The shallow open weave type ones are good for sieving and drying your onions in, or putting over little plants for protection for a while.

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 22:19 »
I know they throw them away because the kitchens where i work just leave them by the bins.I have got my seed potatoes chitting in them.I do use mine for as soil seive.
                                                                                                                            celery

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 18:45 »
I managed to get some black mesh containers from a garden centre last year - abo0ut 10 in s deep, 18 x 15 ins or so and grew some great salads in them, lined with newspaper tp sopt the soil falling out. They were cracked on one side (like about two bits only!) so were going to be dumped.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 19:24 »
I line it with a plastic bag then put my paper pots in there, they are a great size for starting off the brassicas this way!

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 19:55 »
OH picked me up 3 more the other day, he phones me up and says "I got you 3 is that enough?"

I say "pick up about 10"

then he says "oh I'm too far away now perhaps if I remember on the way back through" (he was in Milton Keynes)

He did not remember  :(

pete

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30 »
Guys,

What do you line yours with. I have the blue open weave ones. Paper or plastic?

Are they too shallow for garlic and onion?

Kind regards.

Peter

xx
Tetra pack Module Trays and Seed Trays

Started by Zippy on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 13:00
by compostqueen
xx
Right, I've got the cat litter trays now what?

Started by Yana on Frugal Living

26 Replies
Last post April 01, 2014, 07:59
by Yana
xx
Trays from greengrocers

Started by keith1965 on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post May 10, 2011, 17:21
by agapanthus
xx
Seed trays

Started by noshed on Frugal Living

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2007, 18:55
by Ann

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 39 queries.