idea's sought...

• 15 Replies

Porffor

idea's sought...
« on: July 04, 2008, 13:22 »
Picked up a plan for a local garden show :) no big plans as i'm not that good a gardener, but they have some great kids classes. :) Decorate a hens egg.. Tick ;) Erin will love that (she's 9) and we have a 12 year old foster child arriving next week so hoping to get her to take part. :)
They have a contest for seed trays as a mini garden - thinking what a great one this could be. :) there are two age groups and I could 'help' our 3 and a half year old i'm sure. :)

BUT.. wondered if you have any idea's on plants that would well in a seed tray :) The show is in august so we have time to get growing :)

GreenOwl

idea's sought...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 15:28 »
At our local show the mini-gardens the kids do don't use real plants, generally they're just model gardens.  Having said that a real mini garden might wipe the floor with the competition!  

Grass, seriously, you can grow a mini lawn.  Fine grass seed if you can get it.  Maybe cuttings at the last minute for larger plants.

Bombers

idea's sought...
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 15:38 »
On the seed trays, my cut'n'grow salad leaves always do well. Lots of different colours, and shapes...

You could perhaps add watercress for contrast, and beet leaves always look stunning when young :?:
Plus the fact that its all edible. Promoting healthy eating, showing the kids where their food comes from. I'm sure teacher will love all that. :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Porffor

idea's sought...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 16:13 »
some GREAT idea's thanks :) I have some beetroot in now, but no sign of them yet, so if they come to life I could use them. :) Have cress also, but will look for watercress also for variety. :)
I was thinking that they could make things like a bench out of lollypop sticks and maybe mini fencing, a silver tray for a pond.. you know like a tiny one ;)
I'll have a look at the art n' craft places with the girls and see what we come up with, but was hoping that we could have veggies and real plants mostly. :)

Glad you don't think i'm a nutter! lol

Bombers

idea's sought...
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 16:24 »
Glad you don't think i'm a nutter! lol

Ohh. totally Ga ga... that makes two of us! :lol:
How about making a little compost heap with match sticks? and a gravel path. If your'e really feeling adventurous, you could make a little shed and call it a Seed tray lottie :idea:

Porffor

idea's sought...
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 16:31 »
lol have thought of eggshell (we have chooks) for a pathway ;) the compost heap is a great idea as well as the shed. I like the idea of a pergola too :)
Have had a word with my 9 year old and she's working on a plan now! lol Guess she likes the idea! ;)

Will have to think of some mini flowers for her... hmmm i have some trailing lobelia in my front hanging basket. :)

Bombers

idea's sought...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 16:44 »
God, my creative juices are flowing this afternoon!!  what about using cocktail sticks to make a mini-munti! :lol:  those ice lolly sticks would make great raised beds too!! :idea:  :idea:  :idea:

Porffor

idea's sought...
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 16:47 »
lol she's made a very boring plan.. but i'll get to work with her! ;)
Maybe i should make one to inspire her! ;) :lol:

:lol: think you should make one too! :lol: maybe we could run a comp on here? What's a mini munti? and the raised beds is a good idea. :)

Bombers

idea's sought...
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 16:55 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
lol she's made a very boring plan.. but i'll get to work with her! ;)
Maybe i should make one to inspire her! ;) :lol:

:lol: think you should make one too! :lol: maybe we could run a comp on here? What's a mini munti? and the raised beds is a good idea. :)

What's a mini Munty?  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2100
You gotta see Corndolly's on page 12... Unbelievable :!:

agapanthus

idea's sought...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 19:03 »
....and don't forget the washing line and prop!!!!

Porffor

idea's sought...
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 20:09 »
lol another good idea! ;) and a trampoline of course.. and a chicken coop! lol

Bombers

idea's sought...
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 20:18 »
Quote from: "Porffor"
lol another good idea! ;) and a trampoline of course.. and a chicken coop! lol

It's gonna be a 20 pole seed tray!!

Porffor

idea's sought...
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 20:27 »
lol well maybe we'll do one every year, and put something different in it each year! lol

My daughter and I often do a bit of gardening together. :) she planted seeds this year and is watching HER broccoli growing :)

Runnerbean

idea's sought...
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 20:19 »
My daughter has just turned four and loves gardening.  She plants her own plants and seeds and now she wants her own mini shed on my lottie!! No chance!! She will have to share mine, i'm not giving up any more growing space!
 Getting kids into growing things is great, Beth even does a bit of weeding for me, and i have never seen her pull out anything apart from weeds yet!  
I asked her what she wanted to grow this year and her first answer was bananas!  So with a bit of persuassion she now has her own lettuce, carrots, broccoli and beetroot growing which she loves looking after.
Any tips on how i can get her to build my raised beds and polytunnel........ :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Finally got the space, now just nead the girls!!

Belinda

• Experienced Member
idea's sought...
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 21:08 »
My daughter had a school competition to make a mini garden in a box. She didn't win but we had great fun doing it.We made a bench out of lolly sticks, a pond out of tin foil, a gravel path, a lawn and flower beds. Oh and some trees using twigs with leaves on. Have fun :D

xx
Help sought with rose problem

Started by tallulah on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 12:24
by Goosegirl
xx
Cutting garden advice sought

Started by Living in Hope on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 19:42
by Living in Hope
xx
any idea.....

Started by agapanthus on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 05:17
by agapanthus
xx
Any idea what plant this is from?

Started by lordthanatos on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post October 24, 2012, 12:16
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.