what to do with my chillies

• 5 Replies

Debsie

• Experienced Member
what to do with my chillies
« on: October 03, 2010, 19:17 »
Thinking I need to pick my chillies now, they are quite small but don't think they get that
big, they are twilight chillies. Shall I pickle them, store in oil (in which case do I need to roast them first) or freeze them. Its my first time growing chillies ,quite happy with results.

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: what to do with my chillies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 20:34 »
I've got a glut of chillies this year. I've used the cayenne, which are fairly mild, to make jars of lazy chilli in wine vinegar, complete with seeds. I've also got a huge number of SuperChilli, which are hotter, and I'm stringing them up in ristras to air dry them. What I haven't figured out is how I'm going to take a dried chilli off the ristra without the whole thing falling to bits :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 20:39 »
Carefully, shokkyy. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 20:46 »
I threaded my chillis together using a large (fairly blunt needle) and some nylon thread and just went through each stalk (I purposely made sure I left a good bit of stalk on when picking them) and have strung them in my airing cupboard to dry out.  Once completely dry, I intend to put them in a jar for easier access.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 21:11 »
I threaded my chillis together using a large (fairly blunt needle) and some nylon thread and just went through each stalk (I purposely made sure I left a good bit of stalk on when picking them) and have strung them in my airing cupboard to dry out.  Once completely dry, I intend to put them in a jar for easier access.

I've just got mine hanging up in the kitchen, which isn't a particularly warm room, but they're drying out just fine there. The problem I found re stalks is that when a chilli is fully ripe on the plant the stalk goes kind of dried out, because it's getting ready to snap off. Once it's done that, it's tricky to get a needle through it without snapping it. If they're not fully ripe it's easy cos the stem is still nice and green and pliable. I have just been picking them off and adding them to the ristra as they start turning red, but pretty soon I guess I'm going to have to start picking them unripe or bring the plants indoors.

catllar

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 21:42 »
Ever the one for an easy life, I just chuck my chillies into a ziplock freezer bag and whack'em in the freezer. I use them from frozen,if needed chopped I just cut them up with scissors.

xx
chillies in oil

Started by SUTTY1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 18:15
by SUTTY1
xx
Chillies??

Started by Belgarion on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 18:53
by Marston
xx
best way to store / keep chillies?

Started by 3759allen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

15 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 18:20
by 3759allen
xx
drying chillies

Started by tetley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 20:26
by ytyynycefn

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 35 queries.