Which fruit tree?

• 12 Replies

Grubbypaws

Which fruit tree?
« on: November 05, 2014, 15:08 »
I dont use any chemicals in my garden and my Bramley apple tree hates me  :(  Every year it gets more poorly and it is now at the stage where my husband intends to cut it down.

Is there a fruit tree that I could grow successfully; one that doesn’t need spraying?

LancashireRach

Re: Which fruit tree?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 19:12 »
Rather than cutting it down, how about using it to graft onto - if you are on an allotment site perhaps you could scrounge scion wood from friends or fellow allotmenteers. You have an already established rootstock so could graft it over to a variety that is more disease resistant OR make it into a family tree with several different varieties. If any aren't successful you could just remove them and try another variety instead. That said you do have to find the scion to graft in the first place!

Here's an interesting video about grafting if you'd like to watch it. Stephen Hayes is one of my favourite channels on YouTube ......Yb2Gk-EeKUs
I am still a bit of a newbie to apple growing so I don't know a lot about disease resistance. Stephen does have a lot of information on his Channel about different apples (including cider apples too - which might get your Husband on side  too ;-). )

Rach
Flat Caps, Whippets and Tea in the pot - All is well with the world.

4 Seasons

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 22:57 »
I assume that you have a different place to plant your new tree as planting where the old tree was will give you replant problems.

My favourite cooker is Grandpa Buxton and it seems to suffer less problems than my Bramleys. I never spray any of my trees and share the fruit with god's creatures who usually leave me a good amount to use. Earwigs love it and they are your friends in the war against creepy crawlies. The apples are a yelow/green and have a flesh that cooks to a fluffy texture unlike any other cooker I know of. It gives you fantastic light fluffy tarts and pies and is not a sharp apple. The only draw back is that it does not keep as well as a Bramley so after a couple of months or so you want to peel and freeze what you haven't used, but it's well worth the effort for its lovely light texture and taste. Available from R V Roger nurseries where I bought mine on a dwarf rootstock so everything is easy picking.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 23:06 by 4 Seasons »

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:54 »
Is there really no saving it? What's wrong with it?

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42 »
you will need to find a variety that is resistant to apple scab as this disease plagues bramley and you have to spray to get a crop.
then you will have to deal with insect attack.
none of us like to use sprays but these days they are heavily tested b4 they go on sale.
research the varieties is the best advice, you will no doubt find a very old variety that has good natural resistance to disease and pests.

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 15:40 »
I have a Bramley and never spray it. Some apples do get scab, but by no means all. My biggest issue with the Bramley is it's biannual habit, but I'm going to try and break it of it next year by removing a significant portion of the pollinated fruit.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 16:36 »
Year by year more of the apples have scab and hardly a branch is not affected. I am sure that it has other diseases as well. This year there was a widespread white fluffy growth over much of it.

I will research an old variety with natural resistance RW.

Is it an absolute no no to plant in the same place? If yes them I will probably give up as there is no other space available  :(

4 Seasons

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 22:58 »
Year by year more of the apples have scab and hardly a branch is not affected. I am sure that it has other diseases as well. This year there was a widespread white fluffy growth over much of it.

I will research an old variety with natural resistance RW.

Is it an absolute no no to plant in the same place? If yes them I will probably give up as there is no other space available  :(

Grandpa Buxton is an old heritage variety with less likelihood to get canker etc. If you plant in the same place you will need to dig out a large diameter hole and remove as many of the old roots as you can. If nobody is looking you could water the area around the hole with something like Bordeaux Mixture to sterilise the soil as best you can. (Removes tin hat and bows).

Re fill the hole with fresh soil when planting then hope that by the time the roots of your new tree reach the outside diameter of the hole in a year or two that any replant problems will be slight enough for the new tree to cope. If you don't try you will never know.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 15:24 by 4 Seasons »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 22:00 »
(Dons tin hat and runs for it).

Too right.   >:(

Please don't suggest illegal methods on here  >:(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

4 Seasons

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 15:12 »
(Dons tin hat and runs for it).

Too right.   >:(

Please don't suggest illegal methods on here  >:(

Apologies. Corrected for you.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 17:01 »
Ta  :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 09:44 »
Having thought lots about my garden plan I can plant a new apple tree about 4-5ft from the diseased Bramley. Would this be enough or do I  need think again?

If I use glycophosphate to kill the stump of the Bramley will this help?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58 »
One other thing I've seen suggested on a number of sites is to dig out a larger pit than the normal planting hole and to have a fire in it. The heat from the fire will get rid of a lot of nasties, and the woodash will be appreciated by the tree.

clip
Can someone ID this fruit tree?

Started by Puenktchen on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post August 12, 2015, 12:30
by Puenktchen
xx
fruit tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2019, 11:50
by samuria
xx
ID help with Fruit Tree

Started by cloudcooking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 17, 2012, 18:58
by mattwragg94
xx
Fruit Tree's

Started by Shadrak on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 12:21
by Shadrak

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 38 queries.