Slug pellets

• 42 Replies

CARROTTCRUNCHER

• THE START OF SOMETING GOOD...
Slug pellets
« on: April 26, 2009, 13:44 »
Hello planted spring onions and parsnips carrots and beetroot and leeks . Now the thing is does it matter if you sread to many over the ground or not i dont think i have put to many on but glad i did as the slugs were very active last night i picked up over 40 slugs today of the top of the ground . They looked brown and some brown with tiny black stripes on . plants look ok though . Also do these brown slugs live in the soil or where do they come from . Would love to hear what you all think many thanks CC. Forgot to say its all coverd with enviromesh so the other wildlife is quite safe .

Paul Plots

Re: Slug pellets
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 14:17 »
I only use slug-bait when I am sure slugs will be attracted to a particular sort of plant. There are lots of things that slugs prefer to avoid.  :)

I've never known them touch onions.... in fact I do not use slug bait around beetroot, leeks or carrots. Although I have found small, dark slugs are inclined to have a nibble on a tasty carrot once it is developed but so far damage has been minimal.

To help keep slugs at bay avoid creating the type of environments they like to live in. Damp, dark sheltered suits many types well so when I water I stick to just the ground where seedlings etc are growing. Dry soil either side helps create a barrier. Keeping grass patch tidy reduces hiding places too.

Some slugs live in the soil (Keel slugs I think they are) while others prefer to hide out - these tend to be the bigger variety - orange. Apparently it is the smaller dark slugs which are likely to do the most damage.... my slugs don't apear to have read this information!!  :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 14:24 »

Kagganz

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 15:18 »
I'm sure I read in one of the garden mags that the brown one with stripes is call a leopard slug and although they will munch on greens sometimes they will also eat other slugs.

If you could just stick a piece of brocolli and a piece of cauli on the plain slugs he could have his own meat and two veg!  :D

I quite like the patterns of the leopard slug  :wacko:

xx

Yabba

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 19:43 »
in fact I do not use slug bait around beetroot, leeks or carrots.

The slugs have always eaten my beetroot  *just* as they start getting to a reasonable size :(

¥

peterjf

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 21:05 »
to me ,  a slug is a pest , i use dof pellets, they work , they kill the pests that eat my vegetables ,

to me ,  its a war between slugs and me ,

this is my choice , im sure im not alone in this thought

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 21:31 »

The slugs have always eaten my beetroot  *just* as they start getting to a reasonable size :(

¥

That's bad news.... I will have to keep an eye on mine then.  >:(

So far my beetroot have been slug free (on my old plot). This year they will have a heck of a walk across wide open solid clay as I doubt they could hide in the soil without a pick-axe!!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 21:37 »
Pellets need to be applied carefully and sparingly for them to be most effective, studies have shown that to heavy an application can lead to the slugs/snails getting confused and ignoring the bait.
I don't apply near my onions they never seem to get touched.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Yabba

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 23:33 »
I doubt they could hide in the soil without a pick-axe!!

Armed slugs, that's all we need! :shock:

They do stay away from my leeks / onions though ;)

Personally I see slugs as a compliment, at least summat likes my veg .... ohhh, and that bl**dy white fluttery thing that's a smidge partial to my cabbages ... and that ...... I might not feed us, but I'll support the local wildlife I guess :tongue2:

¥

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:57 »
I doubt they could hide in the soil without a pick-axe!!

Armed slugs, that's all we need! :shock:

They do stay away from my leeks / onions though ;)

Personally I see slugs as a compliment, at least summat likes my veg .... ohhh, and that bl**dy white fluttery thing that's a smidge partial to my cabbages ... and that ...... I might not feed us, but I'll support the local wildlife I guess :tongue2:

¥

It's the (not so) pretty white fluttering things that annoy me the most on my plot...

Planting lots of cabbage this season so going to have to make battle plans!  :blink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:35 »

¥

That's bad news.... I will have to keep an eye on mine then.  >:(

Unless it rains, and then they can use their own built in sledges!!!  :lol: :lol:

So far my beetroot have been slug free (on my old plot). This year they will have a heck of a walk across wide open solid clay as I doubt they could hide in the soil without a pick-axe!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 07:13 »
The slugs are there because they are confused, http://www.implementations.co.uk/main_pages/Slugs_Snails.html. So am I now.  :unsure: What was Victor Meldrew's phrase?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:15 by oldbean »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:25 »
I've never seen such a load of dingo's kidneys as far as their explanation about how copper works is concerned.

It's a electrolytic reaction between the copper and their slime, creating a small electrical current & therefore a shock.

I remember years ago, as kids, we used to stick a copper coin on our mercury fillings, then bridge the two with your tongue - mild tingle - same principle.

Bet they sat up for nights thinking about that explanation.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:44 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:36 »
Never thought about this before, but Dalek's used to run on Copper sheeted floors and also use electricity, yet they have slug like bodies, must be something I am missing  :tongue2:

Bob

PS That's real Dalek's, not these silly ones that can fly

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 12:39 »
to me ,  a slug is a pest , i use dof pellets, they work , they kill the pests that eat my vegetables ,

to me ,  its a war between slugs and me ,

this is my choice , im sure im not alone in this thought

Yep.  Rage hard against the slug.  Despite my organic tendencies and sensibilities, I use the big blue bad boy slug pellets.  I fight the urge to spread them heavily; a gentle sprinkle can be far more deadly than blanket bombing campaign.

The BBC has predicted a hot dry summer this year so slugs should take a battering without my help.  It’s about time as the slugs been playing fast and loose with my veggies for the last two seasons.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

xx
slug pellets

Started by luke34 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2016, 23:14
by mumofstig
xx
Which Slug Pellets?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2014, 20:18
by beesrus
xx
slug pellets

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 16:29
by Adrian
xx
Slug pellets

Started by georget on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 11, 2014, 10:41
by georget

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 37 queries.