Who has used slug pellets?

• 26 Replies

woodburner

« on: May 29, 2008, 23:35 »
Not a discussion of rights and wrongs or even of opinions  :o  :lol: I'm just interested in the results, not on your plants though, just which slugs (or snails) did you find dead from eating them?

Big yellow ones, black ones, grey ones, stripey grey ones etc.

(Rminds me of a song about rats  :shock: )
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 23:47 »
Now you've asked the question, it has made me think........

Nearly all of the slugs my pellets have killed seem to be black, I haven't noticed any brown, grey or stripey/tiger ones.

And they seem to kill all snails.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:04 »
never found dead snails
and only found smallish brownish/yellow slugs ones ( or maybe that was the insides?)

yuck but sorry, and in my defence, I had no choice BUT to use slug pellets, community garden old hand had already sprinkled em on my beds to do me a favour along with watering
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 01:06 »
I just have a teeny garden patch and tons of buckets, but want to keep my bits & bobs as organic as poss.
So I put pellets around the outside perimeter of my patch - none anywhere near actual plants...my belief is, if they can't get INTO the patch, they can't eat the goodies therein.
I know they can hide undergound, but trying not to think about that at the mo!
And re the 70 odd buckets, I put pellets around the bases.
So far I have no slug damage.
But victims are allsorts - black, brown, orange, grey, shelled....
Some I felt sorry for, saw them heading towards the pellets so I picked 'em up and slung 'em. But the pellets have nailed hundreds.
***point of interest - I didn't put pellets around my buckets of onions at first, 'cos slugs not supposed to like them. WRONG! I found several happily nestling on my onions.....so those are pelleted too, now.
But re your Q Woodburner, I resisted eating any  :lol:

Ropster

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 09:50 »
I have been using the new Organic type and have not seen any dead slug's or slug damage so I dont know if they are working but I think they must be

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42 »
I'm using those new organic ones too Ropster and haven't seen any slug/snail corpses either. I always saw the evidence with the old fashioned non-organic pellets. A few things have been very slightly nibbled but I'm not too worried as, considering the sheer amount of slugs/snails on our plot, the new pellets seem to be doing a reasonable job. I think the new kind do something to the slugs/snails that stops them eating and makes them crawl off somewhere else and die. I read that somewhere - can't remember where.  :?

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 11:09 »
Over 100 views and only 5 people use them? Thanks, to those who have replied so far. :)

Must look into the new ones, some rat poisons do that by making the rats thirsty, doubt that it's the same for slugs though ;)

Arls0308

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:58 »
Hi,

I use an organic slug pellet (can't remember what they're call though, but got them from Range). I'm sure they're Soil Association OK'd and ok for wildlife and pets. Apparently they eat them and then crawl back into the ground to die. They must be working as I've not lost anything to slugs (frost and wind, that's another matter) and I've not seen any dead slimies!

Arls
Arls (Allotmenteer since March 08!)

"Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest." Douglas William Jerrold

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

potatopotato

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 12:07 »
Hi, I used slug pellets last year - I had this daft idea about staying all organic but when I witnessed slug armageddon following several days of torrential rain last season, I didn't really see that I had any option.

It worked and I found a helluva lot of dead slugs, which I had no compunction about at all, not after what the blighters had done to my cabbage!!

This year I'm using rolled oats around each of my green plants and it seems to be working so far.
So everybody's entitled to opinions, I open up my mouth, and s***, I've got millions! - Lady Sovereign

Lynne

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 15:13 »
I use them when I have to. I have learnt that I seem to get better results if I use them really sparingly though, so I only scatter 2 or 3 around each plant . Don't know why that is. The bodies tend to be black or yellow one's.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 15:15 »
I read somewhere that too many pellets actually repels slugs Lynne, and that  it's best to sprinkle very sparingly or they'll just avoid them.
Can't remember where I read that...

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 15:20 »
Just found this interesting article that explains why:

Slug control

It has slug identification too!  :o

Ruby Red

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 16:25 »
Did anybody try the liquid garlic slug deterrent I posted on here. It was on Gardeners World. A woman who had Britains largest Hosta collection says it werks for her.  :wink: If anybody is interested Iwil put it on again if it works.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 16:27 »
Id be grateful if you would Ruby, please?
 8)

diggerjoe

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 17:23 »
we had a notice form the committe last year in the newsleter to ask us all not to use so many pellets as it was harming the wildlife.  They had noted how many they had sold in the site  shop. I have used them when needed  at the beginning of the season when everything is very tempting for the little blighters and then when plants are big enough not use at all - i notice this year i have plenty of frogs so not using so many as they seem to be keeping slugs down - most slugs on the site brown with orange edge to them. perhaps they have their going out to dinner clothes on :lol:

xx
Slug pellets

Started by CARROTTCRUNCHER on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 01:45
by Paul Plots
xx
slug pellets?

Started by rachelsco on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 12:30
by Sue33
xx
Slug pellets

Started by scabs on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 11:18
by Zippy
xx
slug pellets

Started by peapod on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 11:59
by peapod

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 35 queries.