Slug pellets

• 5 Replies

georget

Slug pellets
« on: March 10, 2014, 14:21 »
Not sure wether to post this here or in hen house...Ive always used slug pellets in the vegetable garden but only under cover or under wire mesh,but now ive got hens for the first time and i allow them to free range when im in the garden.Im worried they will be able to get the pellets through the wire so does anyone have any ideas or any succesful organic way of controlling slugs.I would be very grateful if anyone had any magic methods as i do like to see them out of there run.Many thanks..George :unsure: :)

jondav14

• Experienced Member
Re: Slug pellets
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 14:30 »
pretty sure the chickens will do a good job but they will also take the plants as well, otherwise try beer traps etc
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 14:31 by jondav14 »
who pinched me marrow?

barley

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 18:49 »
a big bucket - torch - and squidging gloves ewwwwww

or if you cant sqidge between fingers use hobnail boots as an alternative  :wacko:

AK9

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 20:46 »
Have read that coffee grounds might be an option

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 20:52 »
pretty sure the chickens will do a good job but they will also take the plants as well, otherwise try beer traps etc

They certainly do. Most growers won't let chickens wander the veg areas until the plants are a good size and able to fend off chicken attacks. One chap I watched on youtube had chickens that constantly ate his cherry toms so he had to keep the chooks in a run and he planted their own cherry tom plants along the fencing for shade. The chooks at all the toms plus most of the foliage.

If you can catch the slugs, you can deposit them in the chicken area and they'll happily put paid on the situation  :D

georget

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:41 »
Regarding the hens eating the slugs,I thought that slugs were responsible for passing on worms or am I thinking of something else :unsure: will give the beer traps a go I think,just for a bit of fun half for me half for the slugs :lol:

xx
slug pellets

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 06:56
by misterroy
xx
slug pellets

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 17:42
by fatcat1955
xx
Slug Pellets

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 11:48
by LilacSandy
xx
Who has used slug pellets?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 20:54
by Brian_of_Bozeat

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 38 queries.