New cloches, very giddy, what can I plant !

• 12 Replies

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
New cloches, very giddy, what can I plant !
« on: February 08, 2010, 12:22 »
Just bought two cloches, they are cheap moulded plastic/pvc ones but are quite big (45" x 27" and 14" high), and have a couple of ventilation wheels at each end. The plastic is single thickness and not corrugated. I got them from B&Q, £13.99 each they are described as double sun tunnels. Has anyone tried these are they effective ?

How much earlier can I plant outside under these, compared with just outside. I'm in west yorks. Or what veg will benefit from using these. I was thinking about sowing spinach and Cos Lettuce ( Little Gem and Lobjoits Green). How soon could I start with these, also how soon could i sow broccolli and beetroot outdoors under these ?

Thanks, just can't wait to get going this year.

bigben

Re: New cloches, very giddy, what can I plant !
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 12:58 »
Ditto - I was looking at them last week and wondering if they were any good so if anyone has used them and found them ok I will be getting a couple.

bigben

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 09:11 »
I does not look like anyone else has used them - oh well - I might go for one anyway!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:33 »
I will let you know how I get on with mine bigben but it could be a while before I know how successful they are. By which time you may have already purchased or they might not still be available.

I was going to put mine on one of my raised beds yesterday but I'm recovering from a cold and it was bitter cold when I ventured to my veg plot in my garden. It's sunny up here but with occassional snow shower, what's it like in Sheffield today.

I think they will be effective just not as robust as the more expensive ones that have a metal frame. The ones I saw first were the ones priced about £30 each but most online retailers are selling a 3 for price of 2 offer. I looked at the review for these and some people mentioned that the self assembly didn't always go too well. I thought if it was a bit fiddly then I would rather make from scratch, but then I saw these cheap and cheerful ones. They are a good size for me as my raised beds are 4' 2" wide and I intend to plant short rows accross the bed rather than long rows down the 13' length of bed. 

I am thinking of planting a row or brassica with a row of early lettuces / spinach on either side under the cloches. How soon do you think I could do this. It's half term here next week so will be off with daughter and thought I would do it then.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27 »
Give it a go - it is pretty cold in Sheffield today a few spots of sleet fell this morning. My concern about the cloches is like you say they dont look very sturdy. I thought about putting a bungee cord over and pegging them down otherwise I will find it a couple of gardens away. I want to get stuff started - I have sprouts started and would like to get some cabbages on the go then put them outside under plastic. I also fancy trying some trays of cut and come again stuff a little bit early but it is too cold at the moment.

Good luck

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:10 »
although i have not used these clotches i dont think they will give you mutch help at this stage,   for instance if you planted in a unheated greenhouse not mutch would happen or frost at night will wll get anything that does germinate ,  so if you are desperate to try something you could try germinating in a small pot and either bring it in at night or pack it with fleece or bubble wrap to give it protection at night .
its worth a try if only to see what happens im also wondering if you can find some winter lettuice that might survive with the use of its protection
 :) :) :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 13:24 »
digalotty thanks for your advice. You clearly have more experience than I have, I'm sure the comparison with an unheated greenhouse is useful .

By how much do you think a thin poly cloche will help the overnight temperature, and therefore at what point in the year do you think the cloche will give the required protection. I expect the point of cloches is not just retaining a bit of warmth to raise the overnight temperature, but also the protection from wind and pests. When would an unheated greenhouse provide protection from overnight frost ?

I think you are right and have read other threads advising that really it is sensible to wait until the right time to sow outside. I might just sow a few lettuces indoors next week, and plant them out under the cloche after hardening them off.

thanks

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 14:03 »
you are only talking a couple of degrees realy so so it will onlyrealy benefit anything when its warm enough for them to survie in the day otherwise a big risk of losing them , but as i said seeds are cheap so no harm in trying something that is a winter sowing anyway,
you will have plenty of use for it come springtime keepink pests off

zazen999

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 14:13 »
I've got a few cloches which have had autumn sown onions in all winter; they stayed nice and snug whilst the snow was freezing everything else. I planted into clay soil that had had a load of sand mixed in [it's a trial to see if any of them get white rot after being out all winter] and some of them are thickening up nicely and look nice and healthy.

Next winter, you can use them for lettuce, spring onions, beetroots all late summer sown and keep them in the soil for the winter.

Now, I'd use them to protect seed trays/modules and get some lettuce, beets, spring onions etc sown now for planting out in a few weeks.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 19:49 »
Thanks zazen, so do you think I could sow lettuce, beetroot, and spring onions outside now or do you mean sow them indoors, and transplant out under the cloches ?

thanks for all the suggested uses in autumn and through next winter will definately try these out.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 21:25 »
If I was feeling very zen, I'd say do nothing grasschopper, be patient.

I'd be inclined to pre-chit some mange tout peas in about 10 days time, and plant under cover in a fortnight. Should give and early June crop. If you want something faster then turnips, but be prepared to re-sow.

SS

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 21:57 »
.......My concern about the cloches is like you say they dont look very sturdy. I thought about putting a bungee cord over and pegging them down otherwise I will find it a couple of gardens away. .........

If they're the same ones that are in my local garden centre, they come supplid with pegs.

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 08:42 »
yes trikidiki is right they do come with pegs, just two of them. I am probably going to add a few more - going to use some tent pegs - we have a surplus - have killed a couple of tents of the years - long story  :lol:

A week further on and I'm getting more giddy. I know what will happen, all of a sudden there will be a hundred and one things to do and I don't have time, but at the moment mainly twiddling thumbs. So far have potatoes chitting, have sown some leeks indoors. I have rocket, pak choi, garlic and a whole bed of red, white and yellow onions that have overwintered.

I think i shall go for it with a few lettuces under the cloches this coming week.

Thanks for all the suggestions, will post a warning if the cloches rip, blow off or some such similar disaster.

xx
big cloches...now what???

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 21:14
by Doddy
xx
cloches

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 09, 2009, 09:10
by mumofstig
xx
Cloches

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 11:15
by alwayshopeful
xx
Cloches

Started by woodsmoke on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 10:07
by woodsmoke

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 32 queries.