Sweet peppers - advice please

• 10 Replies

robinahood

• Experienced Member
Sweet peppers - advice please
« on: April 08, 2016, 19:02 »
I have my peppers on a windowsill now, the seedlings are a couple of inches tall. I never have a lot of luck with them, as they only seem to get going just before the frosts, so I wondered what you do about feeding them, I have treated them like tomatoes before, and not fed until the fruits appear, is this the wrong approach?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet peppers - advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 19:08 »
I don't feed then while they are small, there is enough feed in the compost for now.

How do you usually grow them on from now - it may give a clue as to why they don't do very well.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 19:39 »
It's a bit hit and miss,as I don't have a heated green house so it's a case of potting them on and slowly hardening them off as and when it gets warm enough. I have tried them in the ground outside and in the blow away in grow bags.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 19:56 »
I grow mine in a cold greenhouse, sometimes in pots and sometimes planted in the border.
At this time of year they go out into the greenhouse during the day, for the light, and come indoors at night until it's reliably above 10C at night.
They are potted on each time the roots grow out of the bottom of the pots. I don't feed them til they start flowering.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 21:09 »
Essentially same as mum - basically treat 'em mean until they're flowering. I've found that 'poorer' more open compost works best. Once into 3" pots I don't overwater and let them dry out to the point of almost drooping occasionally. My understanding is that the plants get tricked into thinking their going to die and go into overdrive to produce flowers and fruit to reproduce before they do. Once flowering I give them a half strength tomato feed 2 or 3 times a week and keep the compost damp but not wet.

smilydog

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 22:39 »
I chuck mine out into a bed on the lotty, and let them get on with it. Most years it works great, apart from last year which was a disaster. 2014 got 17 KG from 20 plants, a little less the year before. I cant get to my plot every day, so a greenhouse or polytunnel would not work for me. Out of all the plants i grow, they are the ones that require the least attention!!

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 22:42 »
I never let my chilies dry out at any stage of growing, they need water for growth, so keep the compost damp and have a good draining compost. Also I cut off the leading shoot when I plant them out into their final growing pots, which are 18" in diameter. I can get 5 down the length of a 8' x 6' cold greenhouse. If you do trim the tops those side shoots will need support as they snap easily.

These people know lots about growing them, they bred the Dorset Naga.....

http://www.seaspringseeds.co.uk/growing-information/chillies-and-peppers/growing-chillies-and-peppers

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 13:03 »
My method of growing sweet is the same as the normal/ hot & super hot chillies.
Mine are sown earlier as I have a grow tent and LED lighting system in place so they are flowering now as we speak although I nip the flowers off until they go in the final pot.

I start them off using the Jiffy pellet then when they go into the first pot just water for the first two weeks.

At this point I then start to feed, I swear by Maxicrop growth stimulant, seaweed based it really does produce a lot of root growth, I use 1.1ml to a litre and feed every two weeks until they go into the final pot which will contain perlite, once in the final pot I switch to the wilko fruit and veg feed which again has the seaweed with magnesium and feed weekly.
As regards the fnal pot, I use what is known as the Hercules pot, it is a type of air pruning root pot with the size at 12litre, compost is as mentioned mixed with perlite.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 14:14 »
I chuck mine out into a bed on the lotty, and let them get on with it. Most years it works great, apart from last year which was a disaster. 2014 got 17 KG from 20 plants, a little less the year before. I cant get to my plot every day, so a greenhouse or polytunnel would not work for me. Out of all the plants i grow, they are the ones that require the least attention!!

Wow! What variety do you grow? Do you protect them from the wind?

Mine need much more tender care for a significantly lower crop so I still have lots of learn.

For what it's worth in light of the above my tips (I only have a tall cold frame) are:

1) Pick a variety that fruits early (eg: Lipstick or Slovakia from real seeds)
2) Year 1. Grow in a 2L pot with growbag compost in a cold frame.
3) Keep fairly dry-don't overwater. Feed regularly (general purpose feed until they fruit, then tomato feed).
4) Over winter these plants and into a 12L pot for earlier fruits the following year. (I don't have success if I prune them unless they have loads of side shoots).

This year I've tried overwintering some plants I sowed in August 2015. Much prefer the idea of over wintering plants in 3" pots rather than 2L ones. They all got through the winter and have lots of growth now so hoping for an early crop.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 20:08 »
Thanks everyone, so basically I am on the right lines and will keep trying - it may also depend on geography to some extent too. Overwintering might be a plan, will try that!

smilydog

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 22:05 »
I am really lucky in that i have a plot that gets full sun from sunrise to sunset, and have a 5M stand of trees to the North of the plot that protects from the cold winds. Unfortunately last year there was not much sun, and a really strong wind from the west which killed most of my peppers in the first week. A lot of it was my own fault for not getting the plants established early enough, they were too weak to cope with the conditions. This year i have sowed earlier under florescent lights, and they are much stronger, but only time will tell. Will keep you all posted!!

xx
sweet peppers

Started by whinpin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 15:18
by Trillium
xx
Sweet peppers

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 00:34
by shokkyy
xx
Sweet peppers

11 Replies
Last post May 10, 2007, 21:49
by Trillium
xx
Sweet peppers

15 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 21:49
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 40 queries.