Keeping chickens - is there a good book available out there please

• 5 Replies

RichardA

Can anyone please suggest a good book on keeping a few chickens in the garden at home. We have done well with 6 ducks and want to make an informed decision on adding about 6 to 12 chickens. They will have to share a pen around 20 metres square and a large hut for nights with the ducks.
Would probably buy in at POL rather than rear our own.
First question that struck me was ducks sleep on the floor and chickens roost above so does that mean ducks wake up with very messy heads in a morning -- hardly fair -- can I put a shelf under the roost etc.
Alternatively if they have a house each how on earth do you keep each out of wrong sleeping space ????????
Lots of questions - hence need for  a good book to read over the winter.
R

mumsy

Hi
Katie Thear's book is excellent, think it may be available on here in the allotment shop.......IMO ( although I do not have ducks ) separate sheds would be the way to go
Good Luck

RichardA

many thanks and I doa gree and I am more than willing to build an extra shed but how do you make sure ducks go in to their own shed and chickens go into their shed if they have both had the run of the available space ????????????
I don't really want to halve the run space as well.
R
Sudden Brain wave do I put a moat around the duck shed and only a tiny pop hole on the chickens one !!
Surely this has been solved before - help someone please
R

karlooben

if you ever need help stick to this forum  :lol: the peeps on here really know thier stuff an they are all wonderfull  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

mumsy

My only experience with ducks is on my SIL's farm, we had to round them up every night to get them into their house.  When you get your chooks, its suggested that you keep them in their coop for 24 hours so they know thats their new home, they go to bed all by themselves at dusk.

Grassilakes

I like the book Urban hen by Paul Peacock (yes that is the name honest) Its published by How to books at £9.99. I first got it from the library but invested in my own copy

xx
Good book/s on hen keeping?

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 18:10
by hillfooter
xx
Keeping Turkeys? New book available

Started by John on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 00:40
by John
xx
Good book for beginners.

Started by smiler43 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 20:07
by anitaws
xx
Keeping an incubator in the same room as a washing machine, good or bad idea?

Started by Ttedoldi on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 23:09
by Ttedoldi

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.