Am I burning my plants?

• 13 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Am I burning my plants?
« on: April 13, 2014, 20:21 »
So my cucumbers were going well and then the past few days I noticed the edges were getting a bit crispy and it has been getting worse. My poor cucamelons are almost completely like it now so think I may have lost them :( they are in greenhouse style staging in the lounge in front of the south facing patio doors so they get plenty of sun. My tomatoes are loving it but I wonder if I could be burning them? In which case the only  other option is the much cooler north facing bedroom... With no real sunlight although still bright. What do you think?

Lardman

Re: Am I burning my plants?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 20:27 »
The picture is a little dark but it does look like they've been cooked. It's difficult this time of year but you ideally want as much light as possible but not direct sunlight on a day like today. Id be keeping those out of direct sunlight for a couple of days to see if they recover.

What a dinky flip flop  :lol:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 20:31 »
Ok, and there was me thinking they would like the warmth and sun :( into the cooler and bright bedroom it is then! The tomatoes can continue to soak up the sunshine  :) hopefully I haven't completely killed them

The flip flops are my 'balcony' ones that I use when nipping to the blowaway and back as we have cream carpets (not my idea!) I do like a pair of funky flip flops

snow white

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 21:48 »
What if you keep them where they are and just lightly shade the window with netting?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 00:56 »
Yep, your babies are getting sunburned. Either shade cloth or another less sunny area until they're larger and well hardened off.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 07:36 »
Wimpy plants! Haha. There is no way I could get away with shading the patio windows - partner would flip - he already tolerates the plants everywhere when he doesn't really 'get' gardening. Fingers crossed the cucumbers recover even if the cucamelons don't

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:40 »
Just stick a few short canes into the tray and drape some shading stuff over them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 16:02 »
I reckon my toms are getting too much sun. The problem is getting the enough light, whilst keeping down temps and direct sun.

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 20:16 »
Just come in from the greenhouse where I have found that I have scorched my 2 week old brussel sprouts -   Again  :)

Last year when I did exactly  the same thing I was told off on this forum for germinating brassicas in a greenhouse. But only last night the seedlings were perky and lively. Maybe it was Sat's and Sun's sunny weather that had already done it, not today's sun?

11.00pm.   Now there is a frost forecast !!  Back down the garden to put the **** things back into the greenhouse because they wont be hardened off yet....Sheeech. ::)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 22:56 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

barley

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 22:46 »
you can white wash the glass in the green house  to take the sting out of the sun or a bit of net curtain works a treat for indoor window sill plants

the sun is getting hotter and UV levels up cause I've burnt the tips of my ears today  :blush:

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 22:59 »
the sun is getting hotter and UV levels up cause I've burnt the tips of my ears today  :blush:

Should you white wash your ears tomorrow just in case ?

barley

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 23:15 »

Should you white wash your ears tomorrow just in case ?

LOL  - will be working in my bill and ben floppy hat tomoz looking a right numpty , better than crispy ears though

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 08:18 »
I think I'm going to sow some a couple cucumbers as mine are looking decidedly sorry for themselves...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:31 »
As someone who has failed for 3 years on the trot to get GH cukes to survive long enough to even think about fruiting I'm not exactly an expert grower  ::), but I am familiar with the sight of sunburnt, crispy leaves.  :(

I'm counting on/hoping/praying that providing some filtering of the direct sun in my GH this year will make the crucial difference, because they do seem to scorch far more readily behind glass than, say, tomatoes, no matter how much care I take not to wet the leaves and keep the local humidity as high as is practically possible.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
burning

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 09, 2008, 18:48
by Teabag
xx
burning on the allotment?

Started by SUTTY1 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post October 27, 2010, 12:43
by madcat
xx
burning stuff

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 09, 2007, 12:00
by pwgun
xx
clearance by burning?

Started by Gravedigger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:40
by potatogrower

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 38 queries.