6 million courgettes from my plot

• 47 Replies

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
6 million courgettes from my plot
« on: July 21, 2009, 21:23 »
okay a slight exaggeration - but we are starting to look like courgettes  :mad:.  I am not sure I can face another one... :closedeyes: we have even made chocolate courgette cake.  That was weird  :wacko:.  In a strange way it tasted peppery - is that just me?  For those who say that it is a good way to get kids to eat Veg'...well, what about all the other bad stuff (butter, sugar, chocolate, cream cheese...it goes on...).  Sorry, this is turning into a rant.   Can anyone please suggest something unique to make with a courgette or two?  Moreover, a few tips on uses for marrows as well wouldn't go a miss (within 2 days I have gone from finger-sized courgettes to gigantic marrows...x3).  I have 30 courgettes to consume within the next week or two (not counting the ones that are still growing)...Thank you!   
Now then, I am a very pleasant lad from York.  I have a decent half plot on Holgate allotments.

zazen999

Re: 6 million courgettes from my plot
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 21:27 »
One of my faves for using up courgettes in one fell swoop - they don't have to be yellow and this is a nice lemony take on them......it's the reason I grow them yellow these days.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/nigella-lawson/happiness-soup-recipe_p_1.html

I also just use them in every meal I'm making - we are veggies [well, we are when I cook] so they can go into alot of meals. Including roasting them.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 21:27 »
marrow and ginger jam to be found in the recipe pages plus lots of other things courgette wise  :D.
Staffies are softer than you think.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 21:32 »
thank joyfull and zazen999!

I like the sound of Marrow and Ginger Jam - it could be a taste sensation!  Will look into that one...

PlymouthMaid

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 22:46 »
Can I ask how many plants you have as you have me slightly worried now as I am currently getting about three a week from the plant in my garden and have three plants on the allotment which are just starting to fruit. I do love courgettes tho and am also veggie so do put them in most things.

JulieP

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 16:20 »
Best way to eat courgettes is to crush garlic on, drizzle with olive oil and grill ....... making my mouth water just thinking of it ........ thanks for the tread - guess what i'm having for tea tonight?
I Love My Lottie, My own little hideaway and Gym:)

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 21:39 »
I have 9 plants, 6 of which are being incredibly productive...perhaps it's the soil. Not been grown on in 25 years, and it was covered in comfry when we started digging last year.

::)

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 23:39 »
BBQ'd slices of courgettes soaked in olive oil before hand

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:45 »
OH NO!!!it looks like another year of 'a thousand and one ways with courgettes' :lol:  well at least something is successful at the moment ::) 

i havent done anything very creative with them yet apart from chop them into a rice salad, chargrilled some to have with couscous and sliced them raw to dip into a tapenade type dip my mother-in-law showed me how to make (although i like the sound of making a jam/chutney with them) ;)

titch

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 14:09 »
i just made some chutney and chucked in my 7 courgettes i had in the fridge, along with 5 onions and 4 cooking apples, vinegar, sugar, ground ginger, salt and ground coriander and simmered til chutney type thickness and potted up - the final mix tasted ok, so in a couple months should be delish
courgettes mushed down nicely too
just keep breathing................

LivvyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 20:36 »
I did spagetti courgette bolognese tonight, just switched the mince for diced courgette and everything else the same way i would do for bolognese.

Fab, healthy and cheap!!
Liv.

IanYORK

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 07:16 »
lots of ideas people -  ;) many thanks.   I am not sure about putting courgettes in the fridge though - is that a good idea?  I always follow what the supermarkets do, so courgettes down at our "local" Tesco hypersuperwoopermarket have them stored at room temperature - I have being doing the same... :wub:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:02 »
Send them to me, we love courgettes, we could have as many as 9 plants as we have lots of free plants donated by the old boys and we still dont know what they all are.

We use on a normal week about 10, we have them stir fried, in soups, in chutneys, in cakes

We cant get enough of them  :blush:

Can you eat that?

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2009, 09:36 »
Oh you lucky thing :o))

General advice if you're not that keen, one or two plants max.

However courgettes don't like me and in a desperate attempt to generate a glut we have planted over twenty this year, only 4 survive ( like I said they don't like me)

Any way for bigger veg, blanch or boil till almost tender, split , scoop out flesh, keep skins.
fry onion, garlic,  grated apple , ( same amount as courgette flesh) untill soft add courgette, cream cheese and stuff skins.

Cook in a hottish ( gas 6)  oven for thirty to 45 min ( depending on size)

The best way is to pick very small, use a tempura batter ( on the Internet very very easy) and fry whole , larger fruit can be sliced. We use these as a quick snack.

Can you eat that?

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 09:40 »
And I forgot to add , if things get desperate they can be grated into almost anything you are cooking, casseroles, curries, risottos, soups, where they usually nearly disappear.

xx
raw courgettes eew?

Started by gardener247 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

20 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 16:47
by andreadon
xx
New use for courgettes

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2013, 18:01
by compostqueen
xx
Too many courgettes?

Started by HilaryG on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

24 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 13:06
by Beetroot queen
xx
About pickling courgettes.

Started by Steve_B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 18:52
by simbamara

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 40 queries.