Allotment withdrawn

• 11 Replies

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Allotment withdrawn
« on: November 20, 2006, 19:45 »
Have been doing a lot of research locally to find out what local allotments allow chickens. My closest offered a clear free of weeds plot that I have not taken up as the main drive for allotment was chooks which they dont allow.
The neighbouring village some ten minutes away allow chicks so I put my name down and was told to wait two weeks waiting for folks to pay annual rent. Supposedly a few potential plots. After two weeks rang again and after telling my needs was offered half a plot Ie 5 pegs alongside another new starter who only wanted 5 pegs of a ten peg plot. Have viewed plot which has chickens on neighbouring plot an decided to ring back an accept.left message with allotment secretaries family member and also answer machine. Rang tonight to ask for forms /contract as I had heard nothing. Secretary came on very gingerly and said they had withdrawn offer as  too many chickens on the total site and are worried about disease spreading. Am rearly livid at them doing this as had spoke to my mate who wanted to work allotment with me and he has already amassed lots of water butts shed etc.
Any advice on cajoling minipulating etc without alienating myself before I start with fellow allotment owners committe. All ready to go and feel rug pulled from under feet
NOT ARF !

muntjac

Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 20:09 »
discrimination. they are definatly getting on the flu panic etc . ask what diseases they are worried about .and then consult the council as they are hopefully the owners .the allotment officials are not allowed to state who can have or not have what if a case for it already exists ,tell them you will consult a solicitor in this case . i am sure someone on the legal side  will offer some more relevant advice .but this is clearly in my view a case of we can choose who has what .ie discrimination. perhaps our members in the wigs will come up with something on the land law side for you. and if defra do not take this stand then the allotment holders committee have no right to iether

contact this defra group and ask for assistnace in what diseases are on the list at the moment .i know newcastle disease is but it is not in the field at this minute so they have no concerns over this one
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/vetsurveillance/poultry/qanda.htm

and folks if you fall into the catorgories in this document i strongly urge you to register ,iknow its another big brother thing ,but for once this one is neccasary in my opinion
still alive /............

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 21:42 »
Fluff, on the first allotment site you tried (nearest to you) did you try telling them you only wanted hens and no cockrels?  My allotment site chappy was worried about the noise with the neighbours that's all.  I have no intention of getting a cockrel so everything was ok and the other allotment holders are all fine with it too.  Check it out - will save you some journey time.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 22:48 »
They must have rules and these rules must be applied equally to all. So if one is allowed to keep chickens then all should be and not allowing you to do so is outrageous. Withdrawing the offer more so.
I'd ring up and ask for details, copy of the rules, names and addreses etc, make it obvious you are writing things down. Ask pointed questions like 'If I undertand you correctly you are withdrawing the offer because you allow chickens in the rules but don't want me to have a plot because I have expressed an interest in keeping chickens? Is that correct?'
Now you could offer to undertake not to keep chickens (and renege later) or you could then ask 'Is it your address that should be used for service of legal documents?'
That's known as waving a big stick and often works. Speak softly but carry a big stick has worked for me in the past. Far more scary than shouting.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 22:53 »
yehhhhhhhhh wot john says  8)

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 21:44 »
Thanks for your advice everyone.

Dont want to count my chickens before they hatch (pun intended) BUT going to look at a alternative patch offered.  By all accounts a little grown over but if I take some photos an post on here maybe you can give me comments on pros cons soil quality etc.

Thanks again folks heres hoping

Fluff

• Experienced Member
Re: Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2006, 18:23 »
Yeeeeee haaaaaaaa!  Got a plot and ready to start :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 19:12 »
Victory is sweet - now get digging:)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 20:25 »
Wonderful news Fluff  :D   Do post a picture of your chooks when you eventually get them installed on the lottie  :!:

Fluff

• Experienced Member
allotment
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 18:03 »
Got my five peg now and wanted to share the moment with you folks.
can anyone advise on how to upload photos.
Want to do before and ongoing.
Mostly to add pressure on my self to get it up and running.

muntjac

how topost pictures
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 19:38 »
Here it is written in stages for those of you wanting to try it out.
1. Put photos onto your computer from your camera!
Put it in 'my pictures' file!
2. Go to http://photobucket.com/ or another photo host.
3. If you haven't registered with photobucket , do so first!
4. Once you are registered click on BROWSE near the top of the photobucket page.
5.This should bring up your picture file from your computer!!
6. Now find the picture in that file that you want to show and double click it.(It is easier if you resize it to a sensible size first!)
7.It will now be written as code in the browse bar of photobucket .
8. You now need to click UPLOAD , just under the browse button.
9. It may take a while, but your photo will show on that photobucket page soon.
10. It will have three rows of code under your photo.
11. You now highlight the bottom row of code . It starts like this [IMG]http://img.photobuck........ etc
It will have img to the left of the row that you need!
12. Once you have highlighted the bottom row . I double click on it to highlight it (you may prefer to drag across it to highlight it . It will go black) Right click on it whilst it is black. Now go down to copy on the grey box that comes up. Right click on the word copy.
13. Now come onto this forum, where you would normally write your reply and right click and go down to paste in the grey box that comes up. Right click on paste.
It will look like a row of coded writing at the moment on the blank page.
But that is it. You can add any writing to the thread now under the code .
Now just click on the reply button under your post and it will/should show as photo in the thread

hope this helps

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Allotment withdrawn
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 20:22 »
The alternative (Thanks for the explanation, again, Karl) is to click the Album link and upload to a personal album. on here.

xx
Withdrawn ex battery hen

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2009, 17:01
by CattinJ
xx
Withdrawn chicken!

Started by ANGELINA JOLIE on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 02:13
by hillfooter
xx
Withdrawn Eggs

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 04:40
by Lindeggs
xx
Withdrawn Pekin - Updated Wednesday 25th

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 19:57
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 39 queries.