Chick crumb feeder problem

• 2 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Chick crumb feeder problem
« on: March 15, 2012, 20:59 »
Ok, I have tried everything (well almost), can anybody recommend the best kind of chick crumb feeder.
I have used chick hoppers, egg boxes, ceramic bowls and bowls that clip to the side of the cages and still 80% gets wasted.
I have miniature silkies and have to make sure that in the first few days the crumb can be reached. If the container is too deep they cannot get to it or see it is there, and I have had one get in and slip and could not get out.
Yesterday a couple were taking a dust bath in the food - bless - and yes I have a shallow container with playsand in for that but the crumb must have felt better  :blink:
So all ideas much appreciated, I have 17 chicks at the moment and (hopefully) another 20 due to hatch in the next couple of weeks  :blush:
I get a bit carried away, lol :wacko:

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: Chick crumb feeder problem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:20 »
HAHA my chicks do the same with the dustbathing, iv given up on trying to find an idele feeder, the best i found was a normal feeder, the crumbs still get wasted but not as much  :D
Chicken crazy

jennie hennie

Re: Chick crumb feeder problem
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:13 »
Hi,I only had a few chicks to feed but found a shallow pottery small animal dish (so it doesn't tip) criss crossed with thick elastic bands like wheel spokes worked quite well. The laccy bands prevented them getting right in.Maybe you'd need more than one.Good luck!I used a similar dish with small pebbles in for water.

xx
Cracked chick feeder problem!

Started by rileyfin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 12:37
by tosca100
xx
Chick crumb

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 08:14
by binghamd
xx
chick crumb

Started by agingchick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 16:16
by too many girls
xx
chicks and chick crumb

Started by poohpouri on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 18:04
by poohpouri

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 35 queries.