diatom powder as poultry shield and plastic cover over the coop, pic inc

• 11 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
hi all im back with more questions :)

can i use diatom powder and mix in water and use it as poultry shield? would it work? has any tried it?

i also had plastic sheet over the coop thought the winter as it got too many gaps so it kept the winds out, should it keep it up in the summer aswell or would it get too hot for chooks?

here's the link to the picture, i could only upload it via dropbox as the size was too big

regards
Mo
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:41 by Aunt Sally »

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
hi mo,

not sure about the DE. i've never done it that way.

as the weather warms up, remove the plastic from around the coop. the warmth might create condensation which may well rot the wood over time. also it will prevent good ventilation and coops can get quite stuffy when in full sun.

i use plastic sheets to cover the runs to prevent rain getting in until i can afford proper panels  and if any green stuff starts to grow on the top side the chooks peck at the underside and make huge holes in it. so try to keep them clean - i just rinse and scrub them when i clean the coops out.

hope that helps.

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
That looks like my main coop.  I don't have a problem with water getting in as I have treated with waterproof fence paint.  I wouldn't advise to use plastic on your coop.

You can use the diatom powder mixed with a little washing up liquid and water (Hillfooters diatom slurry).  Then paint the paste in all the nooks and crannies.  
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
the diatom slurry helps as a preventative and for the odd redmite but when you get a full blown redmite attack then use poultry shield and use it again a week or so later to catch any you have missed.
Staffies are softer than you think.

kegs

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Thank you all for the advice i shall get on with some work, i'll order the vanodine from ebay, and daitom powder from wells poultry, is the diatom powder same thing as diatom earth? On the tub it just says diatom powder but i'v heard some saying diatom earth?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Yes its the same thing.  I use Hemexsan which I get from Bowden and Knights online.  It works out cheaper than diatom, although its the same stuff, but I buy it in big bag.  Lasts for ever though!

Geo

• Experienced Member
the diatom slurry helps as a preventative and for the odd redmite but when you get a full blown redmite attack then use poultry shield and use it again a week or so later to catch any you have missed.
I agree with Joyful. I had a bad infestation in the coop last year and killed the mite using poultry shield. I was advised by poultry shield to spray the coop every 3 days as the red mite hatch out and lay within 7 days. Always wondered how it was so hard to get rid of the little
blighters

Geo

• Experienced Member
Mo I have the same coop as yours and found cleaning it through the door a real pain. The door has been removed and the panel to the side also removed. I made a panel that fits in place with dowelling at the base and 2 bolts at the top to hold it in place. cleaning out the coop is a lot easier. I would post a photo but dont know how to do it

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Yes geo it's right pain but i guess im used to it, u can add a photo when reply on here u'll get option below the message box i think.

Joyfull can i use the dettol as the disinfectant instead something like vanodine? Would it work?

kegs

can i use the dettol as the disinfectant instead something like vanodine? Would it work?

According to this thread you can use Poultry shield in place of the Vanodine. 

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=72773.msg829682#msg829682

It's worth getting some Vanodine though (online) as it's really good at getting feeders/drinkers clean too and a little lasts a long time.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Does diatom also get rid of lice on the birds?

xx
Poultry shield or virkon s? Diatom slurry

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2013, 17:35
by mohs.ayaz
xx
week old chick - anyone used poultry shield and diatom for mite infestation???

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:16
by bubs
xx
Diatom powder

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 17:01
by VeggieVirgin
xx
diatom powder

Started by upert on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2008, 21:20
by mumsy

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 41 queries.