Sweet peppers almost red/yellow how to hasten ripening

• 10 Replies

sclarke624

Sweet peppers almost red/yellow how to hasten ripening
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:19 »
I have loads of sweet peppers, its not been a good year for them, but several have finally decided to turn red.  They are not quite red all over, can I do anything to hasten this up.  Only a few in pots this year the rest are in the ground.  If I pick them am I right in thinking they won't ripen up like tomato can.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sweet peppers almost red/yellow how to hasten ripening
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01 »
mine didn't ripen anymore after I picked them, they just went soggy :(
Can you put some plastic over them to keep them a bit warmer, that should speed things up a bit.

MichelleC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 13:47 »
I had long Sweet Red Peppers (in the unheated GH) that stayed green which seemed like forever. So I placed bananas around each pot about 3 weeks ago and I'm now harvesting lots of fully ripened red peppers. Don't know if the bananas helped but I'll do the same again next year.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 19:55 »
I wonder if it varies for different varieties? I always tend to leave home grown peppers on the plant until they change colour, but I have bought peppers from the supermarket that went from green to red in my fridge :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 18:20 »
I've got the same problem - mine are very nearly ready, but not quite. I've decided to put a heater in the greenhouse on very low just for tonight as the forecast is very cold, then hopefully there'll be a long enough mildish spell just to finish them off (fingers crossed)
Rachael

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 21:54 »
Thanks
Was thinking myself of putting plastic over the ones left nothing to loose.  Shame its been such a bad year for my sweet peppers and others by the sound of it.

Silly question, my daughter in law is the only one that likes green "sweet" peppers, are these the same as sweet peppers that are supposed to be yellow, orange, red or would the green that are supposed to be red etc not taste nice if picked.  I know that sounds like gobbledy gook but I think you get my drift, I hope LOl.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 22:16 »
I dangle banana skins round them  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 22:22 »
There's a huge variation these days between different sweet pepper varieties (and the colour changes they go through) but in general green peppers are "unripe" and red peppers are fully ripe (they are also usually more expensive to buy because leaving peppers on the plant to ripen tends to stop the plant producing more, at least until they are removed.)

Personally I think a really good, ripe, juicy and sweet red pepper is hard to beat for flavour, but I also have to say that green ones show up better in a tomato sauce!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 22:57 »
I've had 4 ripe peppers this year - quite a good crop of green ones though, which I'm not so keen on  :(
They go in curry or stirfry, so the taste is disguised  :D

I've just dug the strongest plant up and potted it to bring in to try and overwinter.
I hope I'm lucky and the plant will get off to a flying start next year, so I get more ripe ones.
Wish me luck  :D

sclarke624

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:18 »
I wish you luck Lesley, I've not managed to keep one yet overwinter.  Although these were in the wendy house as I call the summer house thing.  Maybe I will try one indoors this year.  I had such a great crop outdoors last year so won't give up I know its the crazy weather.

lottielearner

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 20:22 »
I'm sure I read that if you pull the complete chilli plant out of the ground and hang it upside down in the greenhouse the chillis ripen... tried it and it works!! :D :D :D
Chuck it in - it won't grow in the packet!

xx
Ripening sweet peppers

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post November 10, 2021, 07:23
by Growster...
xx
Peppers ripening when still small

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 14:29
by oldcow
xx
Ripening Bullhorn peppers problem.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2018, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
Yellow chilli peppers

Started by Cazzb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2022, 10:08
by JacsH

Page created in 0.391 seconds with 36 queries.