Confused over eglu information

• 6 Replies

Ruby Red

Confused over eglu information
« on: July 25, 2010, 22:18 »
Right. Im thinking of getting rid of my large coop and run as I now only have 3 and dont envisage ever having any more than this number. My OH would like the top garden back and so I am thinking of buying an eglu. There is a new one called GO. I am a bit confused though as to how many hens it will house. There are 3 colours and the blurb to the first one says 3-4. The others say2-3. The run doesnt look very big. Do they mean bantams or large hens. When I posted on here about wanting 2 more hens in the run I have I was shot down. Though the eglu run is a lot smaller than mine. Im confused. Please could someone find the time to check out the information and advise me. Cheers.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Confused over eglu information
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 22:26 »
Why not go for the Eglu classic Ruby.  It's only £30 more but far superior in my opinion.

I have kept 3 hens in my eglu, it's plenty big enough.  The run is only suitable for 2 medium hens though unless the have space to range as well.

The Eglu Go looks to be about the same size overall as the Classic.

cheriton

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 00:22 »
Hi Ruby,

I changed to an Eglu classic a few weeks ago due to bad red mite infestation in my wooden coop. It is plenty big enough for my 3 larger chickens and a dream to clean, but I do not use the run - it is too small and very difficult to clean (unless you are good at combat crawling). ::)

I work most days and cannot let my girls range unsupervised so my hubby made a larger run which is very secure and has lots of access for cleaning and gives  my 3 girls approx 6m of space.

Look on the eglu site for preowned eglus they can be much cheaper or look on Ebay but be aware of the costs as you can end up paying as much as a new one.

Carol

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:27 »
You don't need to crawl on your hands and knees to clean the eglu run as ideally you should move them very frequently onto a new patch of land, this keeps them in fresh grass and the ground sweet. Just pick up the door end and drag it  :). However if they are kept in it all day than I would advise buying the run extensions - at least one per bird.
Staffies are softer than you think.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43 »
It's easy to pick up the run end and just move it to new grass each day (if you have sufficient grass that is  :D)  Not enough room in them though long term so you would have to make a larger secure run

I really rate my Eglu classic and it's fine for 3 full sized birds. 

Ruby Red

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 20:42 »
Thank you to all who have replied. OK. Soooo, I am thinking of buying the Eglu Classic. If I added the metre extension to the 2metre supplied, would I then have room for 4 hens if they are going to be in there for most of the day. When I say 4 hens, I mean the slightly smaller bantams as I would like them to have as much room as poss. By the way, How wide is the run and will 4 fit in the coop ? Sorry to sound thick but I just want to be absolutely sure that I am getting it right. At the mo I have a large coop off the ground and an enclosed run measuring 4ft by 9ft that is attached to it. I am getting rid of this as I have succumbed to the devil that is Eglu. Will the measurements of the eglu run be similar. ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 20:47 »
The eglu run is about a metre wide and 4 bantams will have plenty of space :D

xx
Information please.

Started by SG6 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 17:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Other egg information

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 15:22
by Aunt Sally
xx
Useful Poultry Information.

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 21:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Breed Information

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 17:16
by New Hampshire lover

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 34 queries.