can anyone help

• 6 Replies

wilson5

can anyone help
« on: December 05, 2009, 16:18 »
can anyone help, I have a young bird not sure what age(no comb) that has been off colour for about 4/5 days it is alone because the others gang up on it, it is not eating much and stands in the corner of the coop tail down fluffed up and not realy doing anything. I have brought it in and given it fresh corn and a few treats so that I have seen it eat.  But it is nothing like it was it just lookes like it s tired all the time. 
Have wormed it few weeks ago, would love 2 intergrate it with the other what with the winter nights, but know that until it is well it is not a good idea. Its poop is different sometimes watery other greenish then ok then watery. :unsure: :unsure:   

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
Re: can anyone help
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 16:39 »
Oh dear. It does sound poorly. The lack of significant symptoms, like cough, sticky eye, limp, etc all I can think of is maybe anaemia. They can become anaemic if they are being bitten and feasted upon  by mite.

For redmite, check the underneath of roosting perches after dark - wipe along the perch with a white tissue, it will come away with little red (blood) smudges if you have red mite. Northern mite actually prefers to live on the bird, check for mite/eggs at base of the feathers, particularly round the vent area.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

wilson5

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 16:50 »
have dusted the bird with powder it has no other symptoms, unsure if it has not got scally leg have washed its legs then put on vasoline just incase this is what is making the bird unwell. Have looked in the coop before but will do a double take and exra clean in the morn thanks for the advice. ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 18:09 »
What wormer did you use ?

wilson5

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 21:35 »
Verm-x
I also should have mentioned it is cleaning its legs alot but thought it was because I had put vasoline on them.
Feel so sorry for it it has been on its own since I got it, for quite a few weeks because it was so small, I hoped to get it in with the others when it grew. :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 21:40 »
We generally recommend flubenvet for worming.  Verm-x may be reasonable as a gentle preventative but we've heard of quite a number of hens who still have worms after treatment with it.  Green poo can be a sign of a heavy worm infestation.  My advice would be to worm her and your other hens with flubenvet now.

Why are you putting vaseline on her legs ?  Does she have scaly leg ?

wilson5

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 22:04 »
The hens legs did not look quite normal to me there is a creamy coating on them, have looked at as many pictures as I could but not seeing it before not sure! Just covering every possibility at the moment. 
Not sure if I can get it locally might have to send for it so could take a few days.  Might sound a bit thick but how will I get the wormer into the hen its not really drinking much or eating. I have a small syringe that I could use.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 28 queries.