FEED MIX

• 6 Replies

parthenipirate

FEED MIX
« on: November 28, 2009, 18:17 »
I live on a Greek island and cannot get any premixed feed. My chickens (who have to be kept locked up most of the time because of dogs), Ducks and Geese have only ever been fed on starter feed, crushed and uncrushed corn. Is there anyone that could give me any idea of things to mix for them? To improve their diet.I am new to owning these, but have had some succes with hatching chicks 20 so far, and have the goose sitting on 10 eggs now.

ehs284

Re: FEED MIX
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:15 »
Hi PP,
You really need local advice as (I guess) your climate is very different to UK. What do local farmers feed their birds? If there is no-one there to help, perhaps you could tell us what foods are available and a balanced diet should be computable. When you say 'locked up' do you mean inside (no sunshine/no vitamin D) or just restrained to a run? Do they have grit in a separate dish?

Rubellite

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 18:57 »
Hi PPirate

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31884.msg381613#msg381613

Have a look at this old post. IMO the best diet for chickens is one that they can find themselves but of course if yours are confined then they may be lacking in some aspects which may not become evident until later.
Good luck.  :)

parthenipirate

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 15:46 »
Hi PP,
You really need local advice as (I guess) your climate is very different to UK. What do local farmers feed their birds? If there is no-one there to help, perhaps you could tell us what foods are available and a balanced diet should be computable. When you say 'locked up' do you mean inside (no sunshine/no vitamin D) or just restrained to a run? Do they have grit in a separate dish?

Hi ehs
Thanks for the advice. As far as i can make out the Greeks are not very fussy about feeding for egg layers. If they stop laying they tend to think JUST EAT THEM ! then buy more chicks from the truck that comes every now and again from athens. all i ever see them feeding them is corn.
the girls are not locked away inside, they have a pen and shed with nesting boxes inside. i will try putting grit in a seperate dish

parthenipirate

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 15:54 »
Hi PPirate

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31884.msg381613#msg381613

Have a look at this old post. IMO the best diet for chickens is one that they can find themselves but of course if yours are confined then they may be lacking in some aspects which may not become evident until later.
Good luck.  :)

Hi Rubellite,
thanks for that, but i dont think i would be able to get most of the ingridients here. we are very limited on grain here.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 20:57 »
Hi PP,
I guess the recipe in that old post of Rubellite's would tax most of us  ::), but the idea is good. We have to make some guesses here as we don't know (nor wish to) your lifestyle, income etc  although it does affect the final solution. Most posts regarding food here in the UK say something like 'layers with limited treats'. No use to you. I'd suggest the following points might be useful:
Chickens are omnivores, but the original wild form would get most of its food from grass, the protein being the insects which lived on the grass (a bit like swans today which live on aquatic vegetation but consume lots of 'meat' which is living on the weeds).
Corn/wheat/grains are often considered traditional food for domesticated hens, but would have been seasonal until comparatively recently so are not essential.
Humans are omnivores so one could expect that most human foods would be OK for hens if the rules for humans are followed - not too much salt, fat, hot spices and no white bread or chocolate ;). If you keep a leftover food bucket and ensure that the foods like meats, rice or potatoes are cooked and that they have lots of vegetables, then they'll end up with a balanced diet. Give corn when available and lots of water. Be prepared for them to be choosy (they are ladies after all!). There are commercial food/water additives but these seem to be a mixture of a few water soluble vitamins and minerals. Cod liver oil is good if you can get it and limeflour can be added, but, again, the mixed leftovers and vegetables should be sufficient if they are in the sun and they have access to grit.
Sorry this is not a definitive answer, but hopefully it will point you in the right direction.
Best wishes

parthenipirate

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 10:15 »
Thanks again for the info. Bartie the first chick we hatched has started laying again after a stint of inactivity after being broody, and i think the chicks she hatched are of an age (though not a size) to start laying now they are about 22 weeks, but still small birds  . Just like their dad. Thanks again for the help  , as being new to this any help is great not only for us, but for the gal's as well.

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
How to feed/howmuch to feed

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 22:14
by Jacinta
xx
How much feed

Started by mobyjones on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 19:41
by muntjac

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.