Red Mite Infestation!! :-(

• 6 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Red Mite Infestation!! :-(
« on: July 20, 2009, 09:12 »
Hi all

On Saturday morning I went to clean out the girls and found a load of red mite in the nest box.  After a little examining I found a pile in the corner, and then found them in every little nook in the hen house.

I've taken out all removeable bits (perch, nest box sections, water bowl holder) and used spray in every space imaginable.  I've also dusted everywhere and the past two mornings found that there were quite a few dead mites that had tried to emerge.

I'm now really worried about the chooks because I don't know how long the mites have been there - there really were thousands upon thousands of the things!  I had been treating the hen house but obviously not as thoroughly as I should have been - of course from now on I will be extra vigilant.  I've given the chickens extra spice with their food and also put in some drops with their water to give them a boost - I dusted them before bed too although not sure whether to do this every night as it says on the pot to use every 5 days?

Anyway - just looking for any further advice on ridding the house once and for all.  Also - if you can think of anything extra to give the girls to help them recover?  I can't say how long the red mite have been in there although judging by the numbers and size differences, I'd say a few weeks - I feel bad not to have spotted them until now - I occassionally go out at night and have a look but must have been doing it at the wrong time.

Look forward to any tips - also, for anyone who hasn't had red mite before, it's not until you've had them that you realise just how bad they are - they get absolutely everywhere!!!!

Thanks!

Roughlee Handled

Re: Red Mite Infestation!! :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 10:18 »
Firstly try Milbenex
http://www.schopf-hygiene.com/en/schopf-hygiene-neubeuern/produkte/schaedlingsbekaempfung/kriechendes-ungeziefer/milbenex.html
You can order it from here
http://www.bowdenandknights.com

It has a resitdual effect (will stay on the wood)  I have filled all the cracks in my small coop with painters chalk.  Good luck.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:34 »
Thanks Stuart - will give them a go.  Do you think there's such thing as over doing it?  I.e. I've just poultry shield plus another spray, and a load of powder?

Good idea with sealant - can it be used all over?  Will it harm girls if they try to peck at it?

Thanks!

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:51 »
Do you think there's such thing as over doing it?
Only if you do not follow the instructions on the packet.

But with powder and poultry shield plus should be ok.  I found it took three weeks to get rid as it was winter and I could only clean at the weekend. :(
I used a product (no longer available for sale) which has the same effect as Milbenex and that got rid as when they came back the residue in the wood killed them. 

Good idea with sealant - can it be used all over?  Will it harm girls if they try to peck at it?

I used a product from Band... it dried hard so they could not peck it . Well if they did they would get a headache.

Just to make you aware and others that may be reading this the red mite live in the cracks and so you are just getting rid of potential homes for the red mite.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:13 »
I use paraffin just paint it liberally on all the cracks etc sorts them out no problems  :)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 12:40 »
Paraffin sounds scary!!  I'm thinking about using some sealant / painters caulk or something similar, but my concern is whether to put it on now, effectively trapping any remaining redmite, or to wait until I'm sure I've got rid of them.

Your thoughts?

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 12:45 »
........... whether to put it on now, effectively trapping any remaining redmite,
Now. Make them suffer.  :lol:

Paraffin is ok and cheep.  Just do not smoke while you are doing it. 

I have used Milbenexit is good but strong.  I would be more worried about Milbenex than Parraffin.

xx
Help! - red mite/lice infestation

Started by RachelD on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2010, 10:15
by Kym503
exclamation
Very Severe Red Mite Infestation

Started by chickadee11 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 19:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
week old chick - anyone used poultry shield and diatom for mite infestation???

Started by abd1964 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:16
by bubs
xx
Ulti-mite red mite treatment

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 08:03
by ehs284

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.