This is a good read

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

This is a good read
« on: February 09, 2021, 12:49 »
The Second Marriage  by  Gill Paul.     It is about Jackie Kennedy, Maria Callas and Onassis.    It is factual, although written as a novel, there has been licence taken.
I  have also ordered the new biography called:   Fall: The Mystery of Robert Maxwell. by John Preston.  The library has five copies just arrived, I am number 35 on the list.
I have read a lot about Murdoch and Maxwell, so shall enjoy this.
I have opened this as a new thread, because I couldn't find the previous one, and it had got very long anyway  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

grinling

Re: This is a good read
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 15:38 »
My library has just extended borrow time to April. I have returned 5 books, 4 reserved and picked up another. Tim Peake autobio was excellent. 

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 17:19 »
Just finished 'Daylight' in the Attlee Pine/John Puller series, by David Baldacci, and I won't tell you what happens...

Polished off 'Avenger', by Frederick Forsyth, as an 'interim read' between the last and the next, which is...

'Predator', by Patricia Cornwell, and am already feeling a bit queasy!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 12:35 »
My copy of Bernard Cornwell's latest Sharpe novel - Sharpe's Assasin (the first new one since 2006) has just arrived . Hope it's as good as all the others.
https://www.waterstones.com/blog/an-extract-from-sharpes-assassin-by-bernard-cornwell
So guess what I'll be doing this evening?

Thanks to the TV serials, I'll be 'seeing' an ever youthfull Sean Bean ......not the one we see in the more recent tea adverts  :lol: :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 06:31 »
I never watched Sharpe, Mum, so it's now on the list - thank you!

Here, on the shelves, is the 'quadrology' of 'A dance to the music of time' by Anthony Powell.

Years ago, a daughter recommended the TV adaptation, and we were hooked, and I bought the series on DVD to watch again only recently. Mrs Growster wasn't that interested to see it again, and after seeing the first DVD, (small portable player with earphones), someone in the comments online said that you need to read the books first, as there are over seventy characters, so here we are...

Each book (Ebay), is around 750 pages, and I'm halfway through the first one, so may be some time!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 17:10 »
The long awaited 9th book in the Outlander series, Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone, was released today and has just arrived Woo Hoo!!  It's 888 pages long  ::)
Guess I won't be doing much, apart from reading for the next few days  :lol: :lol: 

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 17:21 »
I've put a pause on the huge books above, as what with all the recent shenanigans, they were too much to take in!

So I'll reverse the process, watch the DVD first and try again another time!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 12:15 »
I am working my way through Peter Lovesey's novels.   The ones that are about Diamond are a good read.  The books are delivered to me by a kind lady who works at the library.  Normally a box of about twenty.   Some I will have ordered and the rest are her choice.   She knows what genre I like.    I have also just read a biography called "That Reacher Guy" -  it is of course about Lee Child.      Mrs. Bouquet

grinling

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 15:31 »
Just read Francis Pryor new book and so gone back to Fire and Ice, about volcanoes. Also re reading Cadfael in bed and the Earthsea books

xx
Read any good books lately ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2020, 21:36
by Yorkie
xx
One to read and think about this Armistice Day...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 10, 2023, 11:47
by Growster...
xx
Please read this, it is important

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2020, 13:56
by GraciesGran
xx
A funny mis-read.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2023, 17:44
by wighty

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 45 queries.