What I did on the plot today 2021

• 113 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today 2021
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2021, 16:25 »
Not been to the plot today as I was looking after poorly grandson so hubby saw to the chickens & watered the tunnel, I feel a bit bereft that I’ve not been  :lol: After grandson was collected by mummy I went out into the garden & washed last years tomato pots & any others lying around after having a good tidy in the greenhouse yesterday.
Yesterday I emptied said greenhouse (again) & spread 22 bags of gravel on the floor after years of making do with a black membrane lining. I was always going to grow in the borders over the winter but never really got to grips with it & now I’ve got Tilly the tunnel I really won’t need to. Looks lovely now .
I can now pot on the tomatoes into their final pots & placings plus some aubergines,peppers & chillis & get rid of the spares as the tunnel has got plenty as I did them on Tuesday
FCE910F7-33E1-457A-88F2-9DFBA01382E0.jpeg
1C9E71A4-6899-4058-92AC-1E7DE458E2AB.jpeg
5517485C-55AE-4665-8775-98D835B1427E.jpeg
C9FB5CBD-366F-4720-B2C2-F9D1D6C8CAA4.jpeg
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: May 28, 2021, 02:11 »
Snowdrops, that looks tidy!

As for me, the daffodil and hyacinth bed in the front garden was showing the effects of rain gradually eroding and moving soil downslope, so I bought one ton of compost and spread about half of that on that bed, a quarter on some worn areas in the lawn, and stockpiled another quarter for later use on the vegetables. Bargain $ 20 (£ 14) for all that compost, made and tested by our city.

Also watered, squashed as many flea beetles as I could on the eggplants, picked peas (still producing in the 30+ C heat).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:28 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

amiman

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2021, 07:49 »
Evacuated pretty dam quick. Our allotments was suddenly invaded by a massive swarm of bees. Got out of there very quickly  :D

Aled

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2021, 09:45 »
Well crops growing nicely, although not as many flowers on my tomato plants as i'd like. So its weeding and watering at the moment!
Cheers
Aled

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2021, 23:30 »
My deer fences around last year's beds, and my new beds, needed mending. So I did that today. 

Also, we are expecting 5 cm or more rain to come in with a tropical storm, so I may be tying up some plants in advance of the weather.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 08:56 by Subversive_plot »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2021, 09:36 »
Having cleared my beetroot bed I added some multipurpose to the bed and planted up some purple sprouting broccoli for the spring. Cloched against rabbits and pigeons plus gave a generous sprinkle of blue meanies for the slugs etc. Odd when you realise ones main focus is on stopping other things eating the crop before you harvest it. Whilst there I checked the progress of my sweet corn: Conclusion it still needs some more time and sunshine. ( Where’s that when you want it?) HH
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2021, 10:28 »
It's late in the summer, but we have about 90 days of growing season left. There is still time (here at least) to grow new tomatoes in containers.  I purchased 2 plants labeled as "Foodie Fresh" Summer Sandwich Tomato, and re-planted those into 2-gallon nursery containers. They are a bush type, and are supposed to stay under 3 feet tall. They will be moved into 5-gallon containers as they outgrow the 2-gallon containers.

I also purchased a 6-pack of Brussels sprouts plants, potted those into half gallon nursery pots. Those will go into the ground in a month or so.

I had started a couple cucumbers indoors, set one of those out at the base of a wire tower. This replaces a worn out plant grown earlier in the year. I'll plant the other plant in a week or so.

I made some repairs to my deer fence, seemingly a never-ending task!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2021, 01:51 »
Planted carrots and golden beetroot.

The spinach planted a week ago is up and growing.

French beans (wax beans) planted a month ago are blooming and have young beans that should be ready in a week or so.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2021, 04:22 »
I planted more beetroot today, as well as a second sowing of spinach.

In my never-ending battle with deer, I am making a second "inner line" of fence to keep the deer out of the French beans.  The Cherokee Wax beans (yellow) are sold as bush beans, but are really more like half-runner beans.  The Kentucky Wonder beans are a green bean, and climb much taller than the Cherokee (the deer eat these more frequently).

I'm transplanting lettuce seedlings into small pots this evening.  Also starting some more lettuce seeds of other varieties.  Sometime this weekend, I'm also planting Swiss chard into six packs for transplanting in a month or so.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2021, 22:58 »
Fun repairing a broken axle on a lawn mower today.  I had to wait for the parts; the Fedex truck delivered my neighbors package to me, but DIDN'T deliver the replacement axle I knew was on his truck!  Fortunately I stopped the driver before he got too far down the road.  After that it was a 15 minute job.  Followed by cutting the grass.

rowlandwells

« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2021, 18:25 »

A really productive day ploughed both plots including our green manure [mustard] crop so that's done and dusted till spring hopeful the winter weather will do its job

also picked all the beetroot still have a few more jobs to do on the plots weather permitting

snowdrops

« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2021, 19:33 »
A very productive day for me too. Got loads done. Swoed the fruit cage after weeding it 2 weeks ago- not surprised I could see a flush of seedlings after how bad it was :wacko:. Also did the diddy bed at the end of the tunnel
Cleared the climbing beans from  the Munty frame & removed all the strings & folded and knotted & bagged them up for next year, but will I be able to find them when needed  :lol:
Weeded the parsnips & in between the slabs in that area & weeded one side of the asparagus.
Planted some more of my bought in veg plants in & out of the tunnel- land cress,rainbow chard, endive & chicory, watered it all in well & the ones I planted yesterday & everything else in the tunnel.
Collected up the plastic bottles I use for watering during the summer & threaded them on the bamboo poles, ready for storing in the roof of the chicken pen out of the way until needed next year- goodness knows how old these bottles are, talk about recycling  :lol:

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2021, 18:46 »
An hour after work finishing getting a big raised bed ready for overwintering onions, shallots and garlic, a couple of dryish days made the ground nice to work with. Should be planted up to the hilt with sets before the weekend!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2021, 02:17 »
Harvested the last peppers of the year, pulled out the pepper plants and weeded and cleared a raised bed for winter greens and salad crops.

More of the same work tomorrow.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2021, 13:02 »
I'm chitting some snow peas and snap peas which will go in the ground as soon as they form a root.

xx
Are you already planning your 2021 vegetable plot?

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 08:56
by basketcase
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 54 queries.