We try and live frugal

• 10 Replies

celini

We try and live frugal
« on: September 20, 2009, 18:42 »
Hi as you know I have gardens and grow some of our vegetables. But what hubby does is go to the local super markets just before closing and get that days meat, pies etc and we freez them.  Just need bigger freezers now lol. We eat well but not with the price tag and i love cooking and make up recipies for the things he get.

Cheers

CC
Friends are like gems. The more you have the less you value them.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: We try and live frugal
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 18:54 »
30 years ago, when brother and I had enforced piano lessons, Dad would drop us off and go to Sainsburys just before closing (at 8pm  :ohmy: ) and do the same thing.

Mum would roll her eyes and ask 'what am I supposed to do with this' at the various unlikely meat joints he brought home  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 21:02 »
I tell you, I'm getting really worried about 'them' changing sell by dates etc. Most of what's in the freezer is from the reduced shelf!!!! :blush: :blush:

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 22:48 »
Sounds like my freezers Aggy - meats, pastas, cheeses, juices, pies - I could do with a 3rd freezer to keep up   :D Can't wait for New Year's when the goat cheese is reduced from $5 to $1, and they'll have boxloads to get rid of. Love that stuff, much more digestible for semi-lactose intolerants like me.

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 23:14 »
Sounds like my freezers Aggy - meats, pastas, cheeses, juices, pies - I could do with a 3rd freezer to keep up   :D Can't wait for New Year's when the goat cheese is reduced from $5 to $1, and they'll have boxloads to get rid of. Love that stuff, much more digestible for semi-lactose intolerants like me.

Me too!!! ;)

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 20:03 »
Went to the Mini Co-op at the top of our road just now as I had run out of Cola and they had reduced the chicken breast fillets.  Got six packs of two breasts (there is only two of us so perfect) for £4.50, ie 75p for two.  Got to be a bargain.

noshed

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2009, 20:57 »
Tescos have this weird idea that stilton can go off - after Christmas is a good time for bargains.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Stree

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 19:35 »
Every day (usually) I get a Kos or Iceberg lettuce from Lidl at about 40P, and an out of date loaf from Costcutter. This supplements the usual layers pellets and wheat and cereal for the chickens, guinea pigs and geese. As do the windfall apples and damsons and plums, plus split tomatoes, bolted salad crops etc.
Once a week I get  5 cobs of fresh corn at 15 P each, the two laying birds get the corn, the guinea pigs get the leaves and the remains go on the compost.

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 19:51 »
Every day (usually) I get a Kos or Iceberg lettuce from Lidl at about 40P, and an out of date loaf from Costcutter. This supplements the usual layers pellets and wheat and cereal for the chickens, guinea pigs and geese. As do the windfall apples and damsons and plums, plus split tomatoes, bolted salad crops etc.
Once a week I get  5 cobs of fresh corn at 15 P each, the two laying birds get the corn, the guinea pigs get the leaves and the remains go on the compost.
.......and why not!!!!!! We get quite a few bread rolls from a chap who gets them from a bakery.....they love it, mixed with water....YUK!!! Not too much though ;)

lisa80

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 09:00 »
our local co op does reduce things like meat but not by alot (£1 or so)it very rare to get much of a bargain .i do try to buy our meat when its reduced as it is soooo expensive ,since having the allotment  i have really made a big effort to save as much as i can when shopping and because of veg from lottie we have been able to use money we have saved to buy more fresh meat ,fish etc :) :)

Transitvanman

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 14:22 »
Frugal living ? Tell me about it!  I have to survive on JSA !   But as far as meat is concerned, this area is literally alive with rabbits [wild ones I hasten to add!]  And they are a valuable source of fresh meat for myself and my collie who often hunts them on her own account.

That is how I came to find this [great] site - looking for rabbit recipes.  I must add that I take no 'pleasure' whatever in killing any animal, in fact, before things became so 'difficult' to live, I have not so much as killed a mouse, but attitude is important if hunting food. I despatch bunnies cleanly and as much as possible, respectfully [which is more than the dog will do!]

xx
It may be frugal, but .....

Started by mrs bouquet on Frugal Living

25 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 10:25
by elibump
xx
Live Near A Canal?

Started by Green-fingered Man on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 00:59
by Trillium
xx
Some really frugal success

Started by Lynne on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 21:32
by Trillium
xx
frugal gardening!!

Started by the artfull-codger on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 07:47
by Growster...

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 28 queries.